Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2011 09:00

Online Gaming video stuttering in combat.

Longtime player of World of Warcraft for about the last 2 mos Ive developed an issue of stuttering in combat with multiple mobs, multiple players or alot of ground effects pretty much making the game unplayable. Prior to this the game ran perfectly this is a Alienware area 51 desktop I purchased in Dec 2011, still under warranty. Can't get ahold of tech support today for some odd reason even though its a weekday. System stats are i7 cpu 930 @ 2.8ghz, windows 7 64 bit, 6GB memory and ati radeon 5900 series video cards. I'll list things Ive tried on my own to resolve the issue and new issues that have developed since. First I corresponded with Blizzard tried deleting all gaming addons , turning down all graphics and windowed modes. Then I tried updating all drivers including most recent video drivers from ati's website. None of these things worked. At this point I reinstalled the game, this did not work. So I then reinstalled the Os fresh and reinstalled the game after updating all drivers defragmenting ect. Still having the same issue. In the meantime in the last few days one of my fans above my video cards has become very loud intermittantly checked my case and its clean as a whistle inside. Ive run system mechanic to optimize my pc and minimize programs at start up including shutdown my anti virus program with no effect as well. Recently I have run a PSA test and it passes all tests with the exception of my optical drive error code 2000-0147 this is another issue but don't think related to my gaming issue.I am not especially tech savvy so any help is appreciated sorry for the long post. Another thing to mention is during these episodes of stuttering I'm running a consistant 50-60 fps and I am also experiencing some sound issues occasionally with the video stutter.

52 Posts

August 5th, 2011 09:00

Well I would probably focus on heat as you mention fan noises.  Wow is not a very intense applications and you should not have those issues with your specs.  What are the temps of your video card?  It is possible it is overheating, or even maybe the whole system is overheating? Can you post your temps during this time?  

Try the game with the cover off the machine and see if it runs ok- sounds like a temperature problem.

August 5th, 2011 11:00

Tried with game cover open downloaded speedfan, 4 cores running up to 57 degrees at highest with game running, graphics cards at 70 degrees max.

372 Posts

August 5th, 2011 13:00

Are you running WOW in DX10 or 11?  DX11 fixed a lot of issues.  You don't mention internet connection, where you live nor where the server is located.  When I connect to a server in California my latency increases and I have laggy issues and some intermittant stuttering.  I am in MN and when I connect to a server in Texas, my latency is 18-21 and no stuttering issues.  I get fps rates of 60-120 with ultra settings 1900x1200 28" monitor.  I run 2 28" monitors.

52 Posts

August 8th, 2011 13:00

Is your issue resolved?

No Events found!