Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 3rd, 2015 04:00

Only one core loads with windows 8.1

Well it all started with me trying to revert the bios back to A03 so I could install an unlocked A08 version. I followed the method of holding the power button for 30 with no battery in and then holding FN during boot up. (I have since found out that it doesn't work and a bios battery removal is required.) When windows loaded only one cpu core loaded up. All of the device manager info says that the cores are fine their just not loading.

The setting seems to be in Environmental variables but it wont seem to save it. I have changed the settings in msconfig, and have even experimented trying to unpark the cores. I have recovered windows, flashed the bios and been through every option that I can think of, all with no success :(

I have run ePSA and the usb boot one and have received a couple of error codes:

4c00:0527

2000-0122 (validation: 83557)

I am at the limits of my ability now and am ready to through in the towel...

If anyone has any suggestions I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Will

September 3rd, 2015 09:00

Well this ***... I have just swapped out the processor for my old one and that only fires up with one core as well.

I cant help but consider a format and a bios wipe, if that doesn't work then it seems I have fried something on the board :(

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hi, 

Errors in the ePSA/Diagnostics test usually indicate hardware failures. In this case, it could be the RAM. You can try removing the memory modules and then boot the system with one RAM module at a time to test them. Run the ePSA/Diagnostic test again to confirm if you get the same error code on each module.

September 3rd, 2015 16:00

Thanks for your response

The bios wipe and format have fixed it, I had my doubts about the RAM.

It was a weird one though!

As always a great community

Cheers

Will

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 3rd, 2015 21:00

Well this ***... I have just swapped out the processor for my old one and that only fires up with one core as well.

I had something like this happen after a processor swap once. BIOS was detecting new one fine. I deleted the processor from Device Manager. Rebooted, Plug-And-Pray worked it's magic, and all was fixed.

No Events found!