Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2011 23:00

Operating System Recovery Disk for M14x

I am planning on buying an M14x laptop for college and I noticed that it didn't include an Operating System recovery disk (which I believe is standard for all Dell PC's now, so I'm not complaining).  It didn't even list an option to buy one for $X in the options list.  So, I was wondering if there was any way that I could buy an OS recovery disk after I bought my computer, or add it as an option when I buy the laptop?

63 Posts

Perhaps this isn't the place to post such a question...

Maybe it would be good if someone could point me to the right people to talk to about this.

63 Posts

Actually, I've already resolved this issue.  And if anyone else needs the answer to my question, you can buy a recovery disk from the Tech Support Department and according to the agent I talked to, it should cost between $20 and $25.

90 Posts

June 21st, 2011 18:00

I can't say what they are doing right now for sure, but I ordered an m14x about 2 months ago, beginning of May.  It did come with an OS dvd.  It wasn't a recovery dvd with all the drivers and stuff, that stuff was on another disc.  But it also comes with software that bugs you to create your own recovery dvd which is kinda cool because you can do it after doing updates and stuff.  I wouldn't spend money on a dvd until you find out for sure what it does and doesn't come with and what you can and can't do with it.  

63 Posts

June 21st, 2011 21:00

And I HAVE needed to re-install an operating system after 9 years before.  Some CD's I had bought and burned didn't last anywhere near as long as the disk included with the computer.

63 Posts

June 21st, 2011 21:00

The reason you would want to buy an OS disk is because they are machine stamped.  The ones that it lets you make have an expiration date.  After a while, they just don't work.  If your operating system needs to be re-installed, and the disk is bad, you just can't re-install.  If you have a machine stamped DVD, it will not go bad.  That way, if you need to re-install the operating system 5 to 8 years from now, it will still work just fine.

No Events found!