Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2013 02:00

Optimus on X51 Not working with Latest 331.82 Nvidia Driver

All official Nvidia releases have had Optimus inbuilt for awhile not but for some reason this iteration I'm having trouble with it enabling properly on my system is this the case for anyone else? I can't even remember the steps I took to get it enabled in the first place with previous iterations as it's always a real headache of uninstalling/installing drivers in precisely the rightway so Optimus is enabled properly.

It would be great if Alienware actually provided upto date drivers so we didn't have to worry as much about things like this...

353 Posts

December 5th, 2013 21:00

Do you have the HDMI cable for the other monitor plugged into the onboard video ? If so go into the Nvidia drivers control panel  go to manage 3d settings there you will see  a drop down arrow preferred graphics processor, set it for auto select and it will use Optimus when it is needed, if this is not working then not sure what else to do? you could try setting it for the onboard to see if that is still working. If not the only other thing i could say is a reinstall of both the onboard video drivers and nvidias, and you would have to uninstall the onboard first reboot, then uninstall nvidia reboot, and do reverse steps install onboard and then install nvidia. i know its a hassle but sometimes its all that helps when  other steps fail  I hope this helps .

353 Posts

December 8th, 2013 22:00

your welcome if you need anymore help just ask :) have a awesome night. 

12 Posts

I only have one monitor... The whole point is that I can't select the preferred graphics processor. That setting only shows when Optimus is enabled properly.

I've already tried reinstalling both the integrated and discrete drivers but I'll try again doing exactly that order. Maybe I've been getting the order wrong. Thanks for the reply Cruser

353 Posts

The whole point of uninstalling both separate from each other is to let the system install the default drivers that came with windows on the on-board video, this way you get a clean install of the intel drivers, this is what a support person did for me when i had issues with  Optimus. Know you could also go directly to intel and get the onboard drivers from them by doing a driver scan, This is also what a tech did for me and after this i have no issues with optimus at all. So if all ails fails and nvidia is still not recognizing that you have Optimus then i would go grab the intel drivers from intel like the support person that directly connected to my system did.  Doing it in  this order insures clean install and uninstall of both drivers.  After this you are free to update the nvidia drivers at will without issue. Once Optimus is there it should not leave again.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I've already tried reinstalling both the integrated and discrete drivers but I'll try again doing exactly that order. Maybe I've been getting the order wrong.

I know it seems backwards, but if IIRC, it's discrete nVidia, then Intel on-board.

Uninstall all/both and reboot first.

12 Posts

December 13th, 2013 20:00

mmm, I'm able to swap between driver 311.06 have optimus enabled, try to install 331.82 but Optimus disappears.

A downgrade to 311.06 brings it right back fine but I'm really confused. It's enabled fine on my system again but it just doesn't want to play ball with 331.82/93.

No Events found!