Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2013 20:00

Optimus or not?

Is there a way for me to tell if I have Optimus on my computer? I have an intel core i7 3720QM and nvidia GTX675M 2GB graphics card.

Alienware M18x R2

835 Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

Actually, the m18x r2 works with switchable graphics, but not optimus, it doesn't switch graphics automatically, you have to press Fn+F7 and re start the computer every time, if you do that and re start, you will see the integrated graphics in the BIOS.

May 12th, 2013 20:00

Yes,you have Optimus and in you're bios it will say IGFX if you put it on IGFX it will turn on Optimus.

23 Posts

May 13th, 2013 20:00

I looked at my BIOS and this is what I found. I have intel HD graphics 4000 but it says that there is no integrated graphics. What am I not understanding here???

6685.20130513_211508.jpg

May 13th, 2013 21:00

Well try to update the bios because the way Optimus works is that it uses you're integrated graphics when you are not doing something demanding and when you do something demanding like playing a game it switches to the Discrete graphics.

23 Posts

May 14th, 2013 11:00

That's what I have had to do in the past. If I unplug the adapter a message comes up telling me to press Fn+F7.

If this is a function of the M18xR2, then what is different about it as opposed to other systems?

835 Posts

May 14th, 2013 12:00

Other systems, like the m14x and m17x (depending on the revision) use a technology developed by Nvidia called Nvidia Optimus, this switches between both graphics cards automatically depending on what you are doing, the design of the m18x is a bit different, so it doesn't use this technology.

3 Posts

May 18th, 2013 19:00

From what I understand, Optimus is a feature of the NVIDIA card and should work on a properly configured system. Why specifically does it work on the M17x and not on the M18x? This sounds more like a driver or bios issue than a hardware issue.

FYI, I'm considering purchase of an M18x R2 but that's a non-starter is Optimus doesn't work on it (as it should). Considering the price of this system, standard features such as Optimus should work.

83 Posts

May 19th, 2013 13:00

well my thoughts are if your using a system like the M18X with onboard.. its a waste..... it slike driving a hummer with a smart car engine...

ive done testing and using the IGFX and the  discrete 7970(disbaled xfire) set power to power save , watching movies or surfing net,  i get ~20 minutes difference so not a big difference with mine, now i dont know about the nvidia card, but with all the issues i see with  descret cards not detected or not found with the M17X R3 and R4 M14x ect.. that have *optimus* i rather have manual switching then end up with that headache.

Or if your like me and solely got this  beast of a laptop purelly for gaming,  the onboard is irrelevent to people like me since i never switch to it as its rarelly on battery and the time it is im moving it from   desk to workstation, or such  and i think this is what dell was aiming for with this system and edited the bios for such...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 19th, 2013 14:00

well my thoughts are if your using a system like the M18X with onboard.. its a waste..... it slike driving a hummer with a smart car engine...

ive done testing and using the IGFX and the  discrete 7970(disbaled xfire) set power to power save , watching movies or surfing net,  i get ~20 minutes difference so not a big difference with mine, now i dont know about the nvidia card, but with all the issues i see with  descret cards not detected or not found with the M17X R3 and R4 M14x ect.. that have *optimus* i rather have manual switching then end up with that headache.

Or if your like me and solely got this  beast of a laptop purelly for gaming,  the onboard is irrelevent to people like me since i never switch to it as its rarelly on battery and the time it is im moving it from   desk to workstation, or such  and i think this is what dell was aiming for with this system and edited the bios for such...

That's my guess also. It's more trouble than it's worth.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/514783/optimus-is-a-failure-/

Users not knowing which GPU is really running or having to bend-over-backwards just to get the discrete GPU to run with a particular game or just always. The most common request I see (in these gaming laptops) is just a way to disable Optimus and lock machine on discrete. Looks like Dell has answered this.

Anyway, GPUs are suppose to down-clock or use less power on 2D and lesser tasks. AMD has been doing this for years. nVidia turning itself off with Optimus is a crutch... actually a broken crutch. 

No Events found!