inerdtia
2 Iron

RE: PSU THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS- AREA 51 R2

Jump to solution

I spent 2 hours today on the phone with Dell support being transferred back-and-forth, just trying to figure out how I could swap the PSU for the 1500W.

I got really frustrated so I cancelled the order. Customer service is terrible. I think I will have to look for something else 😞

0 Kudos
inerdtia
2 Iron

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
W8lifts
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

That's a a bad deal, they want to much money+ plus its one ugly PSU. Just buy the EVGA PSU and call it a day, no modifications are needed, just swap out harnesses. Now, this computer is picky with PSU's so if you want to to try a different PSU make sure you review the return policy...Took me three tries to find one that works...I'm not the only one... 

0 Kudos
inerdtia
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ah the irony... My call got disconnected when trying to cancel. Maybe I'll give it another shot after lunch.... Thanks dude

0 Kudos
inerdtia
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Well, I managed to talk to two different people involved in Alienware sales, but every time they looked up a 1500W PSU nothing came back, so I am going to assume that you just can't buy it separately.

For now, I am going to stick with the system I didn't cancel, and try out the 850W PSU without overclocking (too much).

I might get courageous in the future and try to get something else, and keep and eye on eBay and Dell in case they become available for sale.

0 Kudos
W8lifts
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Takes like 15 minutes and 120 bucks to change that PSU ...

mac89d
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That power supply is a standard ATX power supply. I just recently gutted my alienware area 51 R2 and used the psu in a new build. I put it in a NZXT H440 case and used all the cabling that came with that psu, and everything worked fine. If you decide to go with an aftermarket psu for inside the case of the Area 51 R2, everything will work just fine. Proprietary power connectors were not used on the motherboard. On the psu, yes. The wiring and slots are a tad different than an aftermarket psu, but the psu will still work with a self built pc. As well as being able to replace the psu in the case itself with an atx psu of your choice.

0 Kudos
W8lifts
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Sorry, but many people have issues with just swapping them out, the MB won't turn on. Even the Dell rep cautioned me about just swapping them out. It is a standard ATX PSU and everything should work..But for whatever reason the system is picky. Like I tell everyone "make sure you have a hassle free return policy"

0 Kudos