Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2014 15:00

Possible Fault in AC Adapter (Alienware 18x)

Salutations. I've come to love and adore my M18x over the year I've owned it, but I've come across a bit of a small problem. With some help I'd like to try and nip the issue before it can potentially evolve into something more serious later down the line.

As I've said I use an Alienware M18x with its shipped 330W AC adapter (At least I believe its a 330W). Starting a few weeks ago it seems my laptop has been unable to 'understand' the adapter. It claims it cannot determine the type or the wattage of the adapter, but regardless seems to carry on charging the battery with at first no noticeable issues. Sometimes my adapter's plug will fall out of the port (this is natural, there is no lock on the plug and I usually use my laptop on my bed, leaving the laptop to shuffle around alot), and when plugged back in the laptop will warn it cannot recognize the adapter and then suddenly go into a low performance mode. Its not unbearable by any means but I have no way of setting it back to the high performance mode the AC Power mode usually indulges.

So it goes as follows:

-AC Adapter is plugged in and laptop is turned on

-Pre-Windows message informs me the wattage and type of the AC adapter cannot be determined and warns the battery may not charge.

-After Windows starts up and is logged in, the battery gague next to the system clock says the battery is in charged mode, despite what the earlier message said; everything seems fine and laptop is at optimal performance

-AC adapter is unplugged; laptop goes into proper battery mode and battery performance. No noticable problems

-AC adapter is plugged back in; system warns "AC Adapter currently connected is not supported". Laptop resumes charging, but performance drops to a low point.

-Adapter is unplugged; Once again laptop goes into proper battery mode and performance

-Adapter is plugged in again; repeat of system warning with a charging battery and low performance.

-After some time passes, which can range from 5 minutes to an hour, the laptop silently reverts to AC Power performance

This doesn't always happen though. Sometimes the pre-windows message will never appear and on some occasions when plugging the adapter back in there will be no warning message and the laptop will normally go to AC Power mode. Some advice from my friends in hardware and my own research has suggested the fault may lie in one of three possible areas: there's a problem with the AC adapter itself, there's a problem with the laptop's adapter port, or that there's a problem with the laptop's BIOS. I'd have no problem with replacing the adapter with a new one or sending in the laptop for repairs, but I'd like to make sure I'm certain of what the problem is before making any specific move, mostly because I'd like to avoid needing to send the laptop in for repairs in order to maintain my work schedule.

If there is anyway you can help me track down what my issue is, I'd greatly appreciate it. I have AlienAutospy installed if it can help at all.

If needed I can provide a full system information summary.

Thank you for reading.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2014 16:00

Call Dell if the system is under warranty - it may simply be the AC adapter, so they'll ship that first.

If it doesn't solve the problem, the issue is with the DC jack inside the system or the mainboard - that  will require a repair visit.

No Events found!