Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2011 05:00

PowerDVD8 and Windows 7 on new M15x

I just received my new M15x with Blu-ray player and the software they included is Powerdvd 8, which is the 2008 version.  This software does not suppoert HDMI audio playback with Windows 7, (Only with Vista).   Why would Dell include old software with a new computer?  I really don' want to pay for Powerdvd 10 after I paid for the Blu-ray player and assumed it would be fully functional.  Anyone with the same problem?

501 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 07:00

That's not a shareware version so would it not be possible to download the latest release and install it?
I would have thought it would recognize your serial #. On the other hand, being an OEM version, maybe normal rules don't apply...

If I were you, I would set a system restore point before installation and then try it. At least you could go back to factory state if it doesn't work.

38 Posts

February 3rd, 2011 08:00

I suffered exactly this problem but PowerDVD was not even loaded onto the laptop, updated to PowerDVD 10 Ultra. However, this still does not play all Blu-ray titles, I cannot play Avatar 3D set without stuttering audio. Most play OK but some newer Blu-rays have updated coding which causes problems. Oddly my Sony Blu-ray player has no problems at all!

Julian

M15X, HD5730 1Gb, 500Gb 7200 HDD, Matshita BD-RE UJ235A, 8Gb 1333MHz RAM, 1920x1080 WLED screen

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 3rd, 2011 12:00

Try the secure area "My Dell Downloads". The version saved there for you might be different from the version pre-loaded. Uninstall the old and try the better one. This same thing happened to another forum user.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2011 08:00

My Dell downloads is where I got Powerdvd8, there was none loaded when I got my laptop.  I also got an inspiron for my wife and she has 9.5 preloaded and doesn't even have a blu-ray.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 4th, 2011 13:00

There are many different versions of Power DVD (it doesn't just go by the version number). See this thread:

Re: Blu-ray Movie Playback?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 4th, 2011 18:00

These below are what shows up on the parts page.

R4DW2 PowerDVD 3D 9.6, Remote Media 1.6, CD  (M17x-R3, M17x-R2, M15x)
FPGC7 PowerDVD 9.5 (M17x-R3, M17x-R2, M15x)
M17x M009R Resource DVD (Drivers, AlienDiags, Power DVD 8, Nero 9, YouCam 2, McAfee trial)

2.4K Posts

February 4th, 2011 19:00

The first software I bought when I got my system was Power DVD 10 Ultra. It was well worth the price.

I got it for the 3D and let me tell you it's amazing. I also have my system wired to my Sony 46in TV in my bedroom. I run a cable through the wall in my office up to the attic and then aross my house to the bedroom. I am using a 75ft DVI to HDMI cable which plugs into my Sony home theater system.  When I swtich it on the Bravia sync turns on everything and sets it to the right settings. it''s kinda cool. Power DVD 10 starts right up with everything else. Did I say it was cool? it's really really cool. Sound pass through is supported with the 480's so there is no need to run an audio cable.

Works really well. Power DVD 10 also uses hardware acceleration for high def and software for low def. It looks much better then other players I have. They don't even come close to the Power DVD 10. It also has native MKV support. I download a lot of stuff and most people use the MKV format..this is also a major plus with the DVD 10.

I built another media PC for my living room Sony 60in TV and on that one I am running a shorter DVI to HDMI cable along with Power DVD 10 ultra. Its the same setup but it's a bigger screen. That one is also going into my  ther Sony Bravia home theater system first and from there into the TV. I am using a GTX 295 in there so I had to setup my SB XFI sound card with the SPDIF. Sound Blaster will sell you the correct cable if your card doesn't have the standard SPIF clip for one. I got lucky and mine had one. If you are using the XFI and have the SPDIF cable for the GPU let me know and I can show you which pins to plug it into on the X-FI to make it work.

Both systems are using the X-FI cards and I have the Dolby  Digital Live and DTS packs installed. Needless to say the sound is fantastic.

I use two lenovo handheld wireless keyboards to control both systems. These things are a fraction of the price compaired to others like the $200 Logitech Dinovo and are much better I think. It has full control over the system and Power DVD 10. Check them out:  http://www.dealextreme.com/p/lenovo-2-4ghz-portable-handheld-wireless-keyboard-with-trackball-mouse-2-aaa-35909

If you are setting your system up to do like I did then dump the 8 and buy the 10..you will not regret it.

No Events found!