Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2015 17:00

Problems trying to do a clean install of windows

Hi everybody.

I just got my alIenware 2015 17 R2.
I REALLY DISLIKE windows 8, I hate it, so I decided to format the PC  and install another version of windows.
unfortunately It has been impossible for me to successfully do a clean install by the following reasons:

when Intalling windows 7 Im forced to allow legacy and uefi at the same time, with intel smart response  as my sata operation. when upgrading to windows 10 it says the drives are locked and no HDD is found.

tried to install w8.1 using my recovery dvd,  using only uefi, legacy disabled, and ahci: I cant install as the install is VERY SLOW and the HDD fails to format. IF I USE intel smart response instead, no hdd is found

same happens with windows 10: no hdd detected, impossible to use ahci due to slow hdd response.

in the end i have the laptop turned off without any OS installed and im very frustrated as I cant use it.

so I will please ask you to help me to install either windows 10 or windows 8.1

I don't now what im doing wrong. my bios is the latest one A06 I think

will be very appreciated

Its impossible to install w7 on uefi

(I dont have any internal ssd dives installed)

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 19th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

In the BIOS, set the Boot Mode to UEFI and the SATA mode to AHCI and try doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1 like it shows on this video.

3 Posts

November 19th, 2015 19:00

Thanks Rodrigo for your reply.

as I explained above, If I set it Into ahci mode the disk fails to format and when I click on it takes a lot of time, and fails...

Is my hardware deffective then?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 20th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostics test to check the main hardware components. Click here to view a Dell article that explains how to do this test, let us know if you receive any errors. 

3 Posts

November 21st, 2015 06:00

thanks. I just Ran Epsa Diagnostics and all is fine.

I can only install in ATA mode, but no AHCI. as it gets so slow I cant do anything

any dieas of whats going on? do I need a driver? or is the disk plugged internally in a wrong slot?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 24th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Just to confirm, do you have USB recovery drives for both Windows 8.1 and 10? From what I understand you can install Windows 7 with no issues but when you try it with Windows 8.1 it fails to format, I wonder if there may be something wrong with the recovery drive since your Hard Drive appears to be fine.

No Events found!