Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2016 22:00

Problems with charging on M17x Ra

Hi,

I have an M17x R1 laptop that has worked well for many years, however over the past few months, I have encounter some charging issues.

My charging icon shows the following error below:

charging_error.png

Upon removing the battery from the laptop and pressing on the charge level button, the battery reports a full charge.

If I have the battery in laptop and remove the AC power cord, the laptop lasts for only a few minutes before trying to do a low power warning and shutdown.

Can someone explain why the charging system is not reporting any charge and how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 16th, 2016 22:00

You might want to check in the BIOS for a battery health status or test.

But with a laptop of this age, my guess would be the battery is worn out.

6 Posts

October 17th, 2016 16:00

I updated to the latest version of the BIOS, but am still encountering the same problem. What I don't quite understand is why the battery gauge, that is on the battery, lights up to a full charge when it appears that the AC adapter is showing that it isn't charging. Any ideas on why the mismatch on reporting? Thanks.

901 Posts

October 17th, 2016 17:00

Completely remove and reinstall command centre and alienware OSD. Be sure to restart laptop after each uninstall/reinstall

6 Posts

October 19th, 2016 13:00

I think it may be a old/faulty battery that is reporting a charge incorrectly. I uninstalled all Alienware apps except for respawn and still have the same icon showing no charge on the battery.

If there are any other suggestions on what other actions I should try before replacing the battery, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

No Events found!