Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2016 00:00

Question regarding Windows 10 on the Aurora R3

I have a quick question I cannot find an answer to about people running windows 10 on the Alienware Aurora R3. Some people that have it running on it have said that you cannot update the windows 10 build through the OS as the update fails and does not update. Can anyone running windows 10 on the R3 confirm if this true and if it is would it be possible to workaround this issue? Thanks.

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 10:00

Anyone?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2016 11:00

I don't have an Aurora-R3 ... only an Aurora-R1.

You can always Macrium Reflect Image system and try a Win-10 upgrade or overlay- install (or use a spare HDD for testing).

If there is a choice in BIOS, it might help if it's in MBR (Legacy BIOS) Mode, instead of EFI since I think R3 might only be EFI and not full UEFI. This could lead to various problems with booting, SecureBoot, etc.

This might help also:

The fans are fine - It is a .NET issue with Alienware command center and a pre-upgrade system file installed by Microsoft without asking permission. 

Command Center has always been a pain for me (4 years)  and Alienware has never  been very interested in fixing it. The only answer was "reinstall it" but they have not updated command center in 4 years.

You might have some kind of hardware problem.

Do you have Alienware desktop machine connected to a good UPS (like APC) so Power-Supply is getting power 24/7/365 (even though it might be off) ?

Overall, my Aurora-R1 (with Windows-7 Pro/64) has worked fine over the 5 years I owned it ... including Dot-Net versions, Alienware Command Center, and Windows-Updates. For me, maybe a minor AWCC issue once a year if that.

Also, for a couple of weeks now on Windows-10 Pro/64.

In Win7-64, I use AWCC v2.8.9.0 .
In Win10-64, I use v2.8.11.0 ... installed in Win8-Compatibility-Mode (only that one check-mark in Compatibility TroubleShooter).

If you ever get "100% out-of-control fans" glitch, try (it this order):

- Simple Shut-Down (ends up being a reboot) and Power Dissipation
- Run Dell Diags (outside Windows) for testing of MIO-Board. Sometimes this resets it.
- Try an uninstall and clean-reinstall of AWCC (with some Power-Dissipations and reboots mixed in for good measure).

20 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 14:00

I installed windows 10 by booting from the install disc and using the power off at bios screen method and it installs, but my question is when windows 10 gets a build update, some people say that they couldn't update the build on windows 10 as it says the update failed (they are Aurora R3 users) I was wondering if this is true or not? And would there be a way around this?

No Events found!