Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

V

4 Posts

January 4th, 2018 11:00

R3 Threadripper 1950x running hot: what's the limit?

Hi there,

I'm using my new R3 to do 3D renders.

When it's a GPU render everything works smooth. When I switch to a CPU render (I'm using Arnold Renderer for this), the CPU temperature goes up to 68-74 and the fan starts to spin fast.

A few questions then: Is that normal? On the old PC with a dual Xeon the temperature was always between 58-63 for the same renders.

Also, is it OK to keep the CPU working at that temperature for long periods of time? Some renders can take up to 10min per frame or more and I need to render animation sequence.

I'd really appreciate some insights. I like my Alienware! I don't want to melt it down

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 5th, 2018 07:00

I cannot find a documented "limit" or range. Normally, our conservative BIOS and settings should stop the CPU from reaching "thermal shutdown" temperatures. The fan spinning up is normal. Hard to say what the effect would be over time. All you can do is monitor the CPU temperatures. Based on your usage, perhaps every 6 months consider removing the CPU, cleaning off and applying new thermal paste.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 5th, 2018 08:00

Hi ‌,

Those temps are normal for your system model, you don't have to worry. 

4 Posts

January 5th, 2018 09:00

Thanks, that's a good news!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 5th, 2018 09:00

At 95C will start the throttling and 105C it will shutdown, everything under 95 is normal.

No Events found!