Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 2nd, 2014 23:00

R4 dead DIMM slots?

So I shut down the PC and everything went OK but when I rebooted it later it would not post. It would turn on, but no boot. It caught me off guard and so I checked all the connections,fans,etcetera and it turned out to be the ram for some strange reason. The system came with x4 8GB modules for total of 32GB ram so I never messed with them and was surprised that they were the cause. I took them all out and it finally booted up from DIMM1 with all four individually and had no problems. Then I started to boot it up with DIMM1 and DIMM2 and it would boot with 16GB. No matter what configuration, DIMM3 and DIMM4 are just not detected on boot/bios. I've removed CMOS battery, messed with CMOS jumper, messed with mio board jumper, ran ePSA, and they're just not detected nor are any problems reported. Is there anything I'm missing?

My warranty expired 04/25/2014 and I wish I would of extended but it was so expensive. Since I bought this PC I've had to have power button replaced, mio board replaced, and then high temperatures due to leaking radiator hose that resulted in cooling system replacement. Beautiful machine but such a hassle. Never had any other system be such a pain in the behind.

Aurora R4 ALX
i7-3820
OC Profile 2
OEM GTX 660 1.5GB
32GB RAM (now just 16GB )

901 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 07:00

Sounds like you may have a faulty motherboard... Have you run AlienAutopsy, it may help in determining weather you have a faulty motherboard. But it does sound faulty, especially if the DIMM slots are not even detected in system BIOS and ePSA.

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 20:00

Well things got worse today, the pc turns on and posts but when I press F2, the text is blurry and when I get into ePSA the video its all garbled up and plays 3 distinctive tones in a loop. It doesnt boot into Windows. I took a close look with a very bright flashlight and saw a suspicious area on top right side of DIMM3 between EC16 and V5. IDK what they mean.

DISREGARD what I scratched out please, I was tired out of many hours trying to figure it out yesterday. Upon another look today on fresh eyes/mind, it was slightly loose video cable at back of monitor.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 22:00

is it like a burnt spot? You should take a close-up pic, post it, get some opinions.

Alienware beep codes table:

r4 troubleshooting:

Manufacturer refurb'd mb's available on eBay, just in case, but pricey this week:

If you remove your coin-cell cmos batt for 5 minutes as a trouble-shooting step (you haven't much to lose), ensure your ahci sata controller is enabled (in the event it defaults to non-ahci after removing the bios batt) to boot (or try anyway) from your sata hdd.

8 Posts

August 4th, 2014 09:00

Yes, it passes both ePSA and Alien Autopsy tests.

No Events found!