Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2017 18:00

R6 + new monitor = higher CPU/GPU temps, why?

1. Part of me feels silly for asking this, but....is it normal for a monitor to affect the temperature of the CPU and GPU? A new monitor has increased my CPU and GPU temps, and I'm wondering if it's normal and why, or is something wrong?

Back in May I purchased my Aurora R6 (i7 7700, GTX 1070) and, until last Thursday, was using a 23” Samsung monitor (23" Samsung SyncMaster) purchased in 2010. (The latest drivers were also released in 2010.) Last Thursday I bought a 27” Dell gaming monitor (Dell 27" S2716DG).

I'm not sure what to call them, but there are “widgets” in Alienware Command Center for temperatures and fan speeds that can be placed on the desktop. I use the “widgets” as a quick way to see what's going on as well as CPUID HWMonitor. I never tracked (kept track of) the temps with the Samsung, nor am I closely following the temps with the Dell; at least not as closely as I did last week lol. But, the temps are definitely, and without question, higher with the Dell. Why?

I don't remember the resolution of the Samsung, but it was connected to the 1070 via DVI and it's max resolution was 1920 x 1080 @ (I'm guessing) 60Hz. The Dell is connected via the Display Port at 2560 x 1440 @ 144Hz with G-Sync off. The highest GPU temperature I've noticed, while gaming, was 80 C, but seems to stay around mid 70's or so (while gaming), and the CPU, while gaming, mid 60's to mid 70's. (Those temps aren't accurate since I have to 1 wonder about the temps, and 2 Alt-Tab out of the game to check them.)

2. Messing around with NVIDIA Control Panel, specifically enabling the display of GPU activity in the notification area, I noticed that there are applications running on the GPU. Why is that? The only thing I can think of is to reduce the load on the CPU. It just strikes me as odd and was wondering why.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 11th, 2017 09:00

Hi Christop54‌,

The temperatures and the applications running on the GPU, both behaviors are normal. There's nothing to worry about.

The temperature will increase since the system is now working more with the new monitor (higher resolution, refresh rate, etc) but those temps are completely normal. 

And yes, some applications will run with the GPU and that's normal as well.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 11th, 2017 11:00

I think Eimy covered it pretty well.

I just wanted to add ... if you are now running both monitors concurrently ... the GPU temps will be slightly higher. Not only because there is roughly twice as many pixels to drive but also, often, when 2 monitors are connected ... the video card might not down-clock itself (during light Windows desktop-duty) like it did previously.

You might like a program from CPUID called HW-Monitor.  

August 14th, 2017 01:00

Thanks for the replies.  I had a feeling that all was normal, but after seeing higher temps with the new monitor I had to ask. 

No Events found!