Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2014 15:00

Random black screens during games

Hi everyone, I have an Alienware M14xR2, here is the specs. Everything is up to date.

I5-3210 CPU 2.5GHz

12GB Ram (Upgrade) (Originally 6GB)

GT650M Graphics Card

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium

About 1year 8months old, no warranty

Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive (5400RPM)

Here is all the work I've had done to it

-Upgraded the 6GB of ram to 12GB

-Motherboard was replaced at about 6months old, because the video card was going bad

-Got a new charger with ac adapter

-I also have a very large external fan trying to keep it cool

Now, here is the problem. I play a lot of high demanding games, from League of Legends, to Arma 3, to dayz, to Payday 2. When I start some of these games, not all of them, I will just get a black screen. I will still have sound, but I cannot do anything, and cannot see anything. Even worse, I cannot Alt-Tab out, CTRL-ALT-DELETE, or anything else. I noticed that if I can at least START it in windowed mode, it wont happen. Then switch to full screen, and be fine. This also seems to happen during steam games, it wont happen with League of Legends.

But, recently I just got Warface, another free steam game. Now, for whatever reason, this is the only game that will randomly black screen during game play. And every time I black screen, I am forced to restart my pc.

So, if someone can at lease give me their input on what could be causing the problem, or know, and help, it would be much appreciated.

671 Posts

October 6th, 2014 16:00

Just out of random curiosity, which Driver version are you using on the GT650?

5 Posts

October 6th, 2014 20:00

As of right now, driver is at GeForce 344.11. Nvidia says its all up to date

671 Posts

October 8th, 2014 09:00

Just for troubleshooting purposes. Do you mind uninstalling that driver and installing the one on the Dell website (Right now it's the one that we have tested thoroughly).
http://dell.to/1tARpQ6

5 Posts

October 8th, 2014 14:00

Just installed the graphics driver you sent me, made sure to uninstall the other one first. Now what?

671 Posts

October 10th, 2014 08:00

Give it a test run.
Just to see if you get any more black screens.
The Driver I sent you is by far more stable.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2014 15:00

The last two days I haven't had any black screen issues, although I haven't really tried to test it a whole lot yet. But, now my pc got hit with a huge virus attack. It installed 3 programs that messed with everything. It corrupted some of my anti-virus (Which has never let me down before), and by the time I fixed that, it had found 9 viruses in total. I managed to remove them all, but it caused enough damage. It managed to remove plenty of files from random programs, preventing me from using them. Such as (MSVCR110_CLR0400.dll). Stopping programs like razer synapse, League of Legends, itunes, and directX. Im working on fixing them as of right now, but does anyone have any advice on what all I can do? Im currently running every check/fix I possibly can.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2014 17:00

After some more research and fixes ans tweaks, when I try to open certain programs, it says Im missing the file "msvcr110_clr0400". But, I checked, and do in fact, have the file. And I can't get it to work. I can now no longer play any games. And I can't open several programs. Please help...

671 Posts

October 14th, 2014 09:00

Well, for virus issues we recommend the use of the AlienRespawn program that came installed from factory with your system.
If that option is not available for you. And you've tried finding the file that's missing to enable you to play your games, my best advise would be to perform a clean installation of your Operating System.

No Events found!