Highlighted
s.pop
1 Nickel

Recent M17x R3 purchase - need Win install - please help

I'm a very patient guy but I'm getting to the boiling point with this laptop.

I've got a good deal on this M17x R3 laptop from a coworker since he wasn't using it but he said I will need to give it a fresh Win install since it hasn't been used for long and got sluggish and slow. It booted up, I checked it out and got it on the desk. Installed 16GBs of RAM, 250 SSD and thought that it's impossible not to have updated drivers for Win10 since it's a 2011 machine. Well, I installed Win10, nothing worked right and went on to Install the Original Win7 Home Prem that I have downloaded in multiple builds/versions. I'm getting errors on all my attempts. I've managed to install a Win7 Ultimate and still some drivers were not proper. I don't have the original Win disk neither does the previous owner. I'm using bootable USB drives - I have used 3 different ones SanDisk and "no brand name" to no avail. I have downloaded the drivers from the Support page based on the Express Service Code from the back of the laptop.

Please advise since I've spent multiple days hunting for the solution that I know is out "there".

Many thanks.

S. Pop

0 Kudos
3 Replies
msavary85
1 Nickel

RE: Recent M17x R3 purchase - need Win install - please help

I have your answer ill send you a private message.

Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Windows-7/64bit plus Dell validated drivers from support.dell.com should work ... if Hardware (motherboard) is not malfunctioning.

Test with ePSA or it's proper Dell DOS-based Diags to verify hardware.

This guide should work for laptops also. Be sure to get Intel Chipset drivers on there first.

en.community.dell.com/.../19376654

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
s.pop
1 Nickel

Thank you for your suggestions. I have encountered many issues but here is what worked to get to the point of using the information you have provided. I have changed the SSD from slot 0 to slot 1 and put the original HDD into the 0. This allowed me to get win7 installed. I am currently at this point and will follow your advice.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos