Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2016 06:00

Regarding game discs and lack of drive Alienware 17 laptop

So I ordered a Alienware 17, I would assume it's the r3 but on that itemized list it does say r2 shipping box not sure why my guess is it says that because it's the same box

Anyway if I have a game disc how do I go about making it so I do not have to lug around my system with the external DVD player? Can the game just be installed to my computer?

Also not how how true this is but the salesman them selves told me that you can buy a upgraded gpu as in after the system build, is this accurate or another Dell lie, how wonderful would that be since I was buying a different system for $250 less and took this based off that info and other info that already turned out to be false

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 11th, 2016 07:00

If you purchased new, it would be R3. If you purchased used from the Outlet, could be R2.

Once installed from the external DVD player to the laptop, you should not need the CD? Even older games are being offered on services like steam which do not require the CD.

They might have meant that if you purchase the external AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier), you can add a desktop video card to it. But no, you cannot (after the purchase) buy a laptop GPU and have Dell install it. You would have to do that work.

3 Posts

August 11th, 2016 18:00

No they meant the internal one and was pretty clear about it, I'm very upset about it honestly

So I would be able to install the game disc to the laptop so I don't need the disc to play? Is that a automatic thing or is there more to it?

About the gpu can you guide me into the right direction on where to purchase one? The highest memory 980 is what I would be interested in

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me out

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 11th, 2016 20:00

So I would be able to install the game disc to the laptop so I don't need the disc to play? Is that a automatic thing or is there more to it?
* Depends on the the game itself. It will be trial and error on your part to discover this.

About the gpu can you guide me into the right direction on where to purchase one? The highest memory 980 is what I would be interested in.
* Lets backup. What GPU did you order in this Alienware 17-R3 laptop? Removing and replacing a laptop GPU can be done, but it is not easy. Read through the Alienware 17-R3 Service Manual.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2016 20:00

970m

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 13th, 2016 06:00

I do not see part numbers for the 970m or 980m on the 17-R3 parts page. This may be because they are tied to the motherboard purchased. At this time, your only choice would be to purchase the AGA (Alienware Graphics Amplifier) and a desktop video card. The AGA would connect to the 17-R3.

No Events found!