Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2012 14:00

Regarding upgrades to x51

So, I've been posting on random sites and forums trying to get a read on how to go about upgrading my Alienware X51.

It's currently got the NVidia GeForce GTX 555 graphics card and a 330W PSU.

I want to upgrade the card to a GTX 680, and I was told to buy a 700W PSU to do so.

Is there ANY way to accomplish this, and if so, how do I do it?

December 19th, 2012 13:00

Hello Colton James

You can upgrade the video card on your X51 for the GTX660 this model is totally supported, if you are interested on more information about it you can e-mail us to alienwareupgrades@dell.com, please include your service tag, phone number and description of your request.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2012 14:00

The x51 case will hold neither or provide proper cooling for a 680. I have seen a user here move it all to a slightly larger case, but there are other limitations as well (with that motherboard) that you would still be stuck with.

I suggest you sell the x51 or move to different use or user. Build or buy a real mATX or ATX desktop.

December 13th, 2012 15:00

No, I realize you can't help with Dell policies and financial events and etc. I guess when they mention upgrading any parts, they mean very subtle upgrades.

Do you know what graphics cards I could upgrade to? Or would it pretty much not be worth upgrading?

I would sell the computer, but I highly doubt anyone would want to buy it, plus I'm financing it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Can the x51 be upgraded at ALL?

Yes.

However, IIRC ... the 330w power supply is the largest offered. It seems to me that the power system on this unit is more like a laptop than a desktop (external brick, DC-DC Converter inside machine, etc.)

The nVidia 680 won't work for many reasons (space, power, cooling, etc.). That's why it isn't offered as an option on the sales config page.

I can't help with Dell Policy or financial issues.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

For the amount of added performance you will get upgrading to just a slightly better card (all that is allowed) ... I wouldn't. Why put any more money into something that still isn't what you want? Plus, users often have problems when trying to push these machines to the razor's edge (just like any other machine).

You can read this:

en.community.dell.com/.../19442269.aspx

But again, I suggest you sell it, gift it to someone, make a Media Server out of it ... or whatever. Buy yourself a gaming desktop. Or, just be happy with what you bought and use it. 

Ugh, really? Can the x51 be upgraded at ALL?

For the price I'm paying, that's kind of ridiculous. I assumed when I did the "buyback guarantee" or whatever that was, (where if you want to upgrade any parts, they'll pay x% after y months) that you'd be able to, you know, upgrade it. :|

December 13th, 2012 16:00

I suppose for the money I spent (or am spending, rather) on it, I'll just be happy with what I've got, for now. Could always gift it to someone if I ever build my own in the future.

Thanks for your help, Tesla. Saved me some time before I got my hopes up too high haha.

Cheers!

No Events found!