Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2013 22:00

Replacing Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 - Alienware m17x R4

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Wireless card as it doesn't provide compatibility with Mac OS X on my Alienware m17x R4

However, I was wondering if my Bluetooth 4.0 was also in that card? Do I need to buy a new Wireless card that has bluetooth or anything?

I'm looking for a good wireless card and of course I want to keep my Bluetooth 4.0 that could replace my Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230. Which do you guys suggest? Most of Atheros and Broadcom are supported as far as I know but Intel aren't really at all since apple never use their wireless cards.

Broadcom 4313 is incompatible.

My second questions is, will I lose warranty if I change it? If yes, how could I change it with losing it ?

Thanks !

September 22nd, 2013 04:00

Cut and dry, if you have the NVidia 3D option, you will NOT be able to use Intel WiDi, because in order to use WiDi you must be able to activate the built in Intel graphics of the CPU. When the NVidia 3D card is installed, it automatically deactivates, and does not allow you to switch to Intel graphics.

373 Posts

February 16th, 2013 01:00

The bluetooth is together with wireless in the same card wireless

February 16th, 2013 05:00

Might help if you told us what computer you are trying to replace the wireless card in. This is an Alienware forum, and unless Apple has some new agreement with Dell, Mac OS X doesn't run on an alienware laptop.

2.4K Posts

February 16th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Wireless card as it doesn't provide compatibility with Mac OS X.

However, I was wondering if my Bluetooth 4.0 was also in that card? Do I need to buy a new Wireless card that has bluetooth or anything?

I'm looking for a good wireless card and of course I want to keep my Bluetooth 4.0 that could replace my Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230. Which do you guys suggest? Most of Atheros and Broadcom are supported as far as I know but Intel aren't really at all since apple never use their wireless cards.

Broadcom 4313 is incompatible.

My second questions is, will I lose warranty if I change it? If yes, how could I change it with losing it ?

Thanks !

You won't hurt your warranty but don't expect them to help you with your hackbook :) I'm also sure you are going to be running into a lot more compatibility issues but that's half the fun.

Good luck and I hope you get everything working

2.4K Posts

February 16th, 2013 07:00

I forgot to mention, I have an Alienware m17x R4 and why would I run in compatibility issues? I had done the same with my Dell Studio 1558, the laptop I had before.

Yet here you are already asking to replace the wifi card because it doesn't work with it...

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Wireless card as it doesn't provide compatibility with Mac OS X on my Alienware m17x R4

And then there is this post you made:

Hi,

I have an Alienware M17x R4 with Bios A10 and I would like to downgrade it to A05. I have no issue right now running this version but I heard the only way to disable USB 3.0 on Bios was to have an unlocked bios and to flash an unlocked bios, I need A05 or lower. If there is a way to disable USB 3.0 without unlocking/downgrading the Bios it would be really nice. The reason why I want to do that is that i'm running also Mac OS X Mountain Lion on my laptop and it is not compatible with USB 3.0 so no USB at all working into it :(

I also asked my question more precisely here : http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/2936-how-downgrade-my-bios-a10-a05.html  but also came to Dell forum because Alienware is built my Dell :)

Btw, would it void my Waranty if I flash a unlocked Bios? Shouldn't right?

Thanks you all!

The M17x was designed and tested to run Windows 7/8. The Max OS was designed and tested to run on a Mac. You could have issues with the GPU and Sound. The Alienware Command Center was made for windows and most likely will not function. Just a few off the top of my head. Tech support will not trouble shoot it ether but it wont void your warranty unless it somehow hurts it.

12 Posts

I forgot to mention, I have an Alienware m17x R4 and why would I run in compatibility issues? I had done the same with my Dell Studio 1558, the laptop I had before.

You could try the Intel 4915AGN wireless card which is supposed to work with Mac OS x. However, it will not have bluetooth on it. BUT.... you could try the seperate bluetooth module for the Alienware M17xR4, the New 3.0 Bluetooth Module BCM92070MD BCM2070 24Mbps. From the description however, it seems you won't have version 4.0.  Maybe as a last resort, you could try a USB bluetooth adapter??

12 Posts

February 16th, 2013 08:00

The only reason why I am changing my Wireless card instead of using a Wifi USB Adaptter is that I only have USB 3.0 ports and my hackintosh recognize those wrongly, only USB 3.0 devices will work and the Wifi adapter that I have is 2.0.

So it means that the bluetooth usb adapter isn't gonna work either :(

2 Posts

February 28th, 2013 09:00

Im in EXACTLY the same boat! I previously owned a studio 1558 turned it into a hackintosh; also dual booted it with windows. Everything worked on it apart from the wireless card, so i switched it over to an atheros card (i think it was). Anyway, i just bought an M17X R4 just like you and want to put Mountain Lion on it, but struggling so far! I havent even managed to install it yet (help is much apreciated!), but im trying to figure it out. Anyway took the atheros card out of my studio 1558 and im going to put it into my m17x r4. I dont really mind about loosing bluetooth as i dont use it much, but if i get annoyed about it i will just buy an atheros card with buit in BT.

Hows your hackintosh coming along? working well?

What kexts are you using? and if you have a DSDT i would really love to have it!

I aim to get it up and working and create a youtube video to show others how to do it! but at the moment im not even close.

Cheers,

Matt

12 Posts

February 28th, 2013 14:00

I'm glad i'm not the only one haha :p My hackintosh works well however USB ports only works with USB 3.0, if you succeed to fix this tell me haha :p

- No additional kext

-  VoodooHDA is the only way for sound and you can't change the volume in the system, only in players for exemple like youtube

- My Nvidia GTX660M works perfectly no kext and no dsdt and no graphics enabler

To install it, I took iATKOS M2 but I got Still waiting for root device with my 2.0USB Key so I had to burn it to a dvd and it went fine. Don't forget to activate the AHCI in BIOS! I also unlocked my bios later to have more usb options in bios but still no success well it worked like 3 times but not in a row, usb would works for some reason and not after reboot

12 Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

Haha then just use your Intel HD 4000 Graphics when you use Mac :) iATKOS is alright, it is nothing more then the retail with some patches :)

I unlocked my bios (before A11 was out) so all I have done is to update to retail A10 and use this tuto : http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html - Method 2 (recommended) and it worked well with no issue :) I was scared at first me too but it went fine :)

WIsh  you good luck and if you find out a way to fix the USB using a DSDT, I would be more then happy that you share this with me as I have no idea how to make/patch a DSDT however I know how to use one :) If you wish to throw me a tuto or some infos about it I would be happy :) I've got a Wifi USB Adapter and I can't even use it --' I would like to avoid taking a appart my Alienware right now. Removing the panel under the laptop is alright but we got to remove more then this 

2 Posts

February 28th, 2013 15:00

Great! Sounds good. I dont really use distros, normally just use retail apple image and modify it. But i will give iatkos a go. 

- for the usb 3.0, im pretty sure that there is a dsdt mod you can do. I found it in a forum called something like "lion on m16x r4" cant quite remember, but the r3 and r4 are fairly similar.

- I have a feeling its going to take me a bit of time to get the 7970m working!

Thanks for the advice! I want to unlock my bios but im a bit worried about it. I have done it before on other systems but as its my new laptop im scared.

12 Posts

March 29th, 2013 07:00

My USB now works perfectly!  http://www.osx86.net/view/3745-genericusbxhci_usb_3.0.html

4 Posts

September 21st, 2013 23:00

Hey I been keepin up with this forum and I just wanted to ask ya if everything is working out Techy wise.  Cause yep, I'm also in your situation.  Thanks for ANY reply!

4 Posts

September 22nd, 2013 07:00

Cut and dry, if you have the NVidia 3D option, you will NOT be able to use Intel WiDi, because in order to use WiDi you must be able to activate the built in Intel graphics of the CPU. When the NVidia 3D card is installed, it automatically deactivates, and does not allow you to switch to Intel graphics.

SWEET!  Worked like a charm man!  Very MUCH Appreciated!  And Cheers also for NOT just a reply but such a rapid response.  You seriously saved this computer actually because I was about to Smash it into a Million Pieces.    (Thumbs Up)

No Events found!