hey,,i am sid .i own an alienware m15x laptop.. i having problems with my slot load dvd blue ray Drive...as it is not taking the cd/dvd..previously i had a similar problem but after using a disk cleaner it vanished and for the last 2 months it was working ..just fine:). but again the same problem seems to have appeared?
so please do reply to my post and tell me what to do.
Please help me understand if the drive is physically not accepting DVD/CD or is it not reading the disks?
1. Close any DVD or Burning Software. These programs may be attempting to use the drive, which keeps Windows from accessing the disc. Programs to look for include:
2. Test with multiple discs. The original disc may be scratched or otherwise damaged to the point of unreadability. If another disc works correctly, replace the damaged disc.
3. Update the optical drive firmware and the BIOS on the computer. In some instances the firmware of the drive may become corrupted or the BIOS may 'lose' the drive. Visit the Dell Drivers and Downloads website and input your Service Tag to get updates specific to your computer.
For more information use the below mentioned link:
From the above link click on MSfixit and run it on the computer. Check if the issue is fixed.
Please let me know if you have any other queries.
Update firmware from below link for the DVD drive.
Before updating firmware, check for the drive ID. Picture below would help you in finding the drive ID.
I have provided below link to run firmware update:
Follow installation instructions below:
1. Click Download Now, to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP
Users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In:
3. From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
Select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4. If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
Icon appears on your desktop.
1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R306353.exe.
2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or
Unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R306353. Write down this path so the executable (I.e.
Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor
Window is still open, close it.
6. Click the Start button and then click Run.
7. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R306353 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
Let me know the status.
Awaiting your response!
We might need to replace the parts on the computer. If the computer has active warranty I will arrange for a service on the computer.
I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.
I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.
Check warranty status: http://dell.to/zEE2Cm
If the system is out of warranty, I have provided a link below for the expired warranty services:
Awaiting your response!
Running diagnostics is always a good idea. Also, you might want to try deleting any filters that could be preventing the optical drive from working properly, follow the steps in this article:
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit:
This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.