Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2013 22:00

SSD intel SRT accelerate button missing (caching)

Hello there fellow alienware owners I am a newcomer to this club and have been out of the loop of tech stuff for about 4 years since I was living under a rock. recently I have been doing some intensive researching because I bought my new m17x R4 laptop. so here is the setup, Windows 7 pro sp1 i7 3740QM 1TB 5400 rpm HDD 32 gb SSD HD 7970m 32gb ram Of course my purpose was for caching to boost performance. so upon booting from factory setting, the iSRT interface did show the accelerate tab, I clicked into but click cancel again to jump out to ensure I have the right setting from all components, i then immediately reboot and checked my bios, which it read as RAID, after logging in and opening my ISRT, the accelerate tab when missing. I did a few things from here on: i updated to the newest driver after i uninstall the previous ones. I have switched back to AHCI then reboot, then reboot again to change to RAID, then reboot again to no avail. It still wont show. out of desperate measure, I checked there aren't any partition on the SSD so I reformat the SSD. Then I restore the system back to its factory state. which the older driver was install, the bios was in RAID mode but the accelerate tab still doesn't show. I have now updated my BIOS to the latest version A11 too which still doesn't help. Anyone could help me on this?

October 21st, 2013 18:00

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2013 01:00

Hi Cloudyherb,

I appreciate your efforts to enable the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. You will need to create Hibernation partition on the SSD to use the acceleration feature. Please follow the steps provided below to create the Hibernation partition:

1. Execute Disk Management.
2. Select the SSD disk (disk1).
3. Right click to bring up the menu options list, and select “Initialize Disk”.
8814.HP1.png

4. Initialize Disk as "MBR" format.
4336.HP2.png

5. Right click to bring up the menu options list, and select “New Simple volume”.
2677.HP3.png

6. Follow the wizard to create new volume.
4162.HP4.png

7. Run “Command Prompt” as administrator, execute “Diskpart.exe”.

8. At the diskpart prompt, type the following commands as shown below:

DiskPart> list volume

DiskPart> select volume X (X is volume number of your store partition. size is 11G)

DiskPart> set id=84 override

Diskpart> exit
2021.HP5.png

9. A Hibernation Partition will be created.
6406.HP6.png

After creating the Hibernation partition, you may enable acceleration from the IRST application. Please let me know about your findings.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2013 01:00

hello rajath, thank you very much for the prompt reply. I kindly appreciate it, before i give your suggestive actions a go, may I ask how much space the hibernation partition should I allocate out of the 32GB?

Many thanks in advance!

4 Posts

March 13th, 2013 03:00

So Rajath, I tried your method and set it to a hibernate partition and rebooted my computer but it still doesnt show on my iSRT with the accelerate option. do we have anymore options?

1.8K Posts

March 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi Cloudyherb,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I suggest you to re-install Intel Rapid Storage Technology software and check if the Accelerate button is enabled.

Please let me know about the status.

8 Posts

April 6th, 2013 03:00

Hi Rajesh,

I'm having the same issue, can't see the accelerate button !! Could you please help ?

Regards, Naresh

April 10th, 2013 01:00

Àbsolutly sure !

I received my laptop with the ssd Disk formated And so visible in the windows explorer.

No option was visible.

Just after having deleted the partition , the option became visible without doing anything else !

8 Posts

Are you sure ? because I have formatted the SSD few times to get this option.

Hi, I Read your post ans i think that i can help you : I just received m'y new Alienware (switch bécause thé last one crashed) And i had the same issue. Indeed, There was a formated partition on the ssd component And thé accelerate option was not visible. To make it bécomes visible , you have to delete the partition ! And thén the option Will bécome visible. Hôpe to be helpfull. Regards.

8 Posts

ok, thanks

I'll try this as I only formatted the SSD and didn't try to delete the partition yet. I think after deleting the partition it would not be visible in explorer I I believe by "option" you mean accelerate option ?

April 10th, 2013 02:00

In disk management, you have to delete the SSD disk partition (what i did).

The disk will still be visible in the windows explorer (but you will not able to put files on it),

Then, the ACCELERATE option should become visible in the software.

After having enabled the option, you should not see the SSD disk in the windows explorer.

Hope to be clear...

8 Posts

April 10th, 2013 10:00

Thanks titaneflash, It works like a charm but strangely nobody from dell has responded on it !!

April 10th, 2013 14:00

Wonderful ! I m happy to have been able to help you !!

What I can tell you is that my last Alien laptop crashed (motherboard) about two months ago : 3 technicians came at home to ...try to repear it ! three technicians, so three times et tries...as a result : a Disaster; my laptop got broken... 

Well, they have been correct and accepted to switch the laptop that i received 2 days ago. However, like you, the installation was not finalized and the SSD caching was not and COULD not be activated...

Fortunately, thanks to many searchs, i was able to fixe the problem by myself.

Enjoy the ACCELERATE OPTION !

Regards.

8 Posts

April 10th, 2013 21:00

I also did a lot of search before posting but didn't manage to find the solution !! I noticed there a lot of people who are having this issue and I'm sure your post would be helpful for them as it was for me. Meanwhile I have another small question for you :-), I got this laptop with Windows 8 pre-installed and I didn't like it so tried to install Windows 7 instead. When it came it had 4 partitions and I made another one by shrinking the OS partition. I tried to install Windows 7 but installer says that it cannot install Windows on the existing partition !! Is there a way to install Windows 7 on same partition on which I have Windows 8 ? I don't want to lose recovery partitions before I installing Windows 7 successfully. I had disabled the secure boot and the existing partitions are GPT. Thanks again for your help. 

April 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi,

I m not expert on the subject, however, I know that you can not install Win 7 on the same partition. You have to create a partition thanks to a soft (magic partition for exemple : www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche10520-partition-magic.html) using a part of the existing partition. You should be able to install the OS on it and then choose the OS you want when your PC starts (automtically).

However, you say that you have already created a partition ?...and that you can not install Win 7 on it ??? I do not understand : it should work !

Well, you should take time to appreciate Win 8 ;-))

I use it for a few days...and i appreciate it, each day better !

Regards.

No Events found!