Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2017 03:00

Shall I use SSD as cache to play games in Alienware 17?

Dear Friends,

I am using Alienware 17 bought 2 years ago with the following configuration

Processor : Core i7-4700MQ  6MB cache, 3.4GHz

Graphic Card : Nvidia Geforce GTX 765M 2gb gddr5

RAM : 8 GB DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2)

HDD : 750 GB

SSD : 64 GB

I have never used my laptop for games. I mostly use it for my graphic related works. Lately I started to feel like playing games.

I had noticed that my laptop is running slow, but never cared much as I don't have lot of time. Now I had decided to Format all my PC to factory reset.

I am not sure about buying a new SSD, what kind of format would you recommend me to do to run games better and smoother?

Is my graphic card and configuration good enough to play HD games?

Thank you very much! :)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 26th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

It should be enough to play most games in medium/high settings. I'd recommend using a SSD only. Also, keep your files on a second drive or external drive. Besides that, check the temperatures. An overheating PC is also a slow PC.

4 Posts

January 26th, 2017 22:00

Hi,

Thank you for the reply!

I did not understand, what do you mean by "using a SSD only"?

Do you mean, that I have to install OS in SSD? and use it as a cDrive and 750 GB HDD as other drive?

If that is the case, it is hard to install some games with heavy file size right?

Do you recommend me to upgrade SSD? Does it help me in anyway?

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 27th, 2017 14:00

Yes, we mean to install the OS in the SSD and put your files in the HDD. The SSD should be at least 250GB for it to be enough for larger games. You won't have many installed at the same time, but it would definitely decrease the load speeds.

No Events found!