Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 11:00

[Solution] M18x R2 Fails POST with 8 Beeps Switching Graphics Mode from IGFX to PEG

During a recent Windows 8 clean install, I discovered a problem after installing the Intel HD4000 driver and attempted to switch from IGFX (integrated) to PEG (discrete) graphics mode using FN+F7. As soon as I attempted to do so, my M18x R2 would not boot and starting the 8-beep nightmare. Through the process of elimination, I was able to determine the cause. I had Dell Community member johnksss verify this with his M18x R2. I am sharing it here to help others that may encounter the same issue. The problem consistently occurs with one incorrect BIOS setting, and the fix is an easy one.

Issue: M18x R2 fails POST with 8 beeps attempting to switch from IGFX to PEG mode using FN+F7

Cause: BIOS setting for Non-Turbo Flex Support is “Enabled”

Solution: Leave setting “Disabled”

Corrective Step: Clear CMOS to restore default BIOS settings

8877.8-beep.jpg

How to clear CMOS:

• Disconnect AC adapter
  • Remove system battery
  • Remove bottom cover
  • Disconnect CMOS (coin cell) battery
  • Depress power button 30 seconds
  • Bridge pins for CMOS battery terminal with screwdriver (be gentle - don't bent the pins)
  • Reconnect CMOS battery
  • Connect AC adapter
  • Power on - if you get 5 beeps, don't panic... This is common. Power off and on again and you should be fine.
  • F2 to enter BIOS. Set date/time, any custom settings (be sure to leave Non-Turbo Flex Support "Disabled")
  • F10 to save and exit setup
  • Power off
  • Reinstall bottom cover and battery

I hope others find this information helpful. Hopefully, this will save a few unnecessary motherboard replacements.

90 Posts

August 14th, 2013 15:00

This fixed my problem, took a couple of tries, but it did work.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 05:00

MrFox you are a legend, as always!! I thought I was in some trouble for a minute!

763 Posts

July 6th, 2013 16:00

Nice! Glad that I was able to provide something helpful. And thank you for taking a moment to say so. I appreciate it.

I am fairly confident that Dell/Alienware has replaced at least a few motherboards on systems exhibiting this behavior when all they really needed was this simple fix.

4 Posts

July 6th, 2013 16:00

Yes! My laptop is no longer a $3000 paperweight! Thank you so much! Twice I've had this issue and this was the only solution that ever worked for me. I went through countless forums and no one had any solutions, until I came across this one. Thank you so much for your help!

4 Posts

July 6th, 2013 17:00

You're very welcome! You are the man!

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2013 05:00

Oops. Need to update my sig. Been a while.

763 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 10:00

Glad this has helped so many of you. 

September 22nd, 2013 16:00

I wish this would help me.

I'm having the same problem on an alienware m17x r4 machine that I just had returned after a repair at the dell repair depot and it does this once in awhile along with 6 beeps and 5 beeps sometimes too.

I don't have this option in my BIOS to change it, so I'm guessing something is totally messed up again.  Had the problem persist since getting my machine back from the depot (Worse then when I sent it to boot).  Going to have to send it back again.

763 Posts

October 3rd, 2013 11:00

It sounds like you are experiencing a different problem that is fairly serious. This particular tip is only a setting that needs to be changed rather than an actual hardware problem.

Good luck and I sincerely hope that gets fixed for you very soon.

1 Message

October 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi, I am trying to find the option in my bios and i cannot locate it.

I have a M17xR3 model with the A12 Bios.

Can you please help?

Thanks in advance.

90 Posts

October 12th, 2013 14:00

I have the same as you and never found the option in the bios. In-fact my bios doesn't look like that. However, the basic solution works and I have to do frequently.

6 Posts

October 12th, 2013 21:00

Hi,

First things first, thank you for the solution.  I had the 8 beeps thing and solved the issue using your technique. But now I've got another problem, my gpu 660m is not being detected. The bios doesn't have it. I tried updating/downgrading the bios but still no progress.  Please suggest the next step. 

Thanks

763 Posts

October 13th, 2013 13:00

Hi,

First things first, thank you for the solution.  I had the 8 beeps thing and solved the issue using your technique. But now I've got another problem, my gpu 660m is not being detected. The bios doesn't have it. I tried updating/downgrading the bios but still no progress.  Please suggest the next step. 

Thanks

Your machine is an M18xR2? Does it have one 660M or 660M SLI? If it is an M18xR2 and you have an unlocked BIOS, confirm the video configuration setting is on PEG and not IGFX. If it is set to IGFX you will be using the Intel HD Graphics. Don't mess with this setting, just look to see whether it is PEG or IGFX. PEG means PCI Express graphics (discrete GPU) and IGFX means integrated graphics. (PEG and IGFX can be manually selected here, but the other options will make your machine fail to POST... better to no mess with it if you can avoid doing so.)

Now, boot into Windows and press FN+F7 and you should see a message pop up saying "discrete graphics detected" and you can click OK to reboot with the Intel HD Graphics disabled and the NVIDIA discrete graphics active. If the message on your screen when you press FN+F7 says "binary graphics detected" then you are already using the NVIDIA discrete graphics and it should show up in Device Manager as a display adapter as well.

If you have Secure Boot enabled, be sure the BIOS option for Legacy mode is also active. If you have the system set to use Secure Boot instead of Legacy mode the GPU needs to have a special vBIOS due to the draconian nature of Secure Boot. It is unfortunate to see this kind of garbage on a high quality machine like an Alienware, but this is the kind of nonsense the future holds in store for us.

6 Posts

October 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not putting my laptop details to my post. I don't know what I was thinking. I have a M17X R4 with a single 660M GPU.

I checked my BIOS for the option of "video configuration setting" but couldn't find one. I also have to add that the BIOS shows no GPU was detected in the discrete GPU section. It is set to legacy mode by the way.

I also noticed another problem with my laptop, It doesn't boot up after shutdown/restart unless I plug it in to the adapter, the battery works fine and system works good plugged out after the boot up.

I don't know much about the BIOS so any help would be wonderful. I really appreciate you taking time for this :) thank you.

On a side note : I spoke to the alienware customer service and they were pretty rude after they find out that the warranty period is over.

cheers

763 Posts

October 14th, 2013 02:00

Glad to help any way that I can. I do not have any M17xR4 experience as I own the M18x, but some things that I have figured out might apply to both platforms.

I think you are going to need to get an unlocked BIOS from Tech|Inferno forum to get access to the menu in question. Everything else from your response seems to be as it should other than not having access to that menu video configuration menu.

I take it that clearing the CMOS did not make your 660M visible.

It is possible that reseating the GPU in the PCI-e slot might help. Clean the contacts with compressed air to remove any dust particle while it is apart.

No Events found!