Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 4th, 2017 20:00

Some keys on keyboard (Alienware 17 R4) not working?

Hello, I just received my new Alienware and was shocked when i noticed that some keys are not working at all. 4, p, f and the Home button do not do anything. I already tried those buttons in BIOS and they did not work there either, so I am confident this is a Hardware issue. Anyone know an easy way to fix this, or do I need to send the machine back and wait for Dell to send a new one :/?

Thank you!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 5th, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further.

1 Message

July 19th, 2017 11:00

I have the same issue as this person, but my keys are the A,O,L buttons. all of my other keys seem to work properly but these ones. I have had my system for a few months now and the only way I can type correctly is if I use an external keyboard. After a few minutes to a half hour (time frame varies each time), my keyboard will work as intended but always on startup or restart the keys don't work. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 19th, 2017 15:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 4th, 2017 09:00

Hi ‌,

Please send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further. 

1 Message

August 4th, 2017 09:00

Hello, I also just bought a new Dell Alienware R4 17.3" laptop and for some reason my Print Screen Button has stopped working. It worked fine for the 1st week or so by pressing the FN and PRT SCRN/Home keys together but it no longer works and I haven't been able to fix it. 

It anyone out there can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

August 11th, 2017 04:00

Same here bought my alienware 17 and only had it 2 days when eyg numpad 1 and 9. And the key to change macros dont work. Not what you expect when spending this much money for a product

August 11th, 2017 10:00

I got it handled by dell customer support they re-downloaded some firmware for keyboard all fixed.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Ok, thanks for letting us know!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you with this.

1 Message

August 12th, 2017 09:00

Hi, i also have the same problem with my r4, can i also send you a message?

August 13th, 2017 04:00

Problem came back. I tried a usb keyboard and it worked fine so it cant be a software issue. Called dell again and its a known issue apparently where the ribbon isnt connecting proper on these laptops.  So if keys are intermittently not working or not at all try external keyboard if it works tell them you want the ribbon replaced

3 Posts

August 17th, 2017 22:00

i also have this prolem. have no i , no zero key, and no use of the letter after A, that also precedes C.  Help!

August 18th, 2017 02:00

Try an external keyboard if it works fine then call and ask for them to send a tech. I ad mine opened up and yes the ribbon was cocked on an angle and loose.  It is a known issue and they send out something like sticky tabs to lock it in place

3 Posts

August 18th, 2017 02:00

Looks pretty much like a full disassemble. But worth checking the connection. Thanks for the input

Sent from my Samsung device

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 18th, 2017 12:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check this.

No Events found!