Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2010 02:00

Someone help me get info on my order? I'm going nuts.

Hey all.  I've been a longtime customer of Alienware.  My first Alienware was bought over a decade ago and more have followed.  I've never had a single problem before now.  I ordered an Aurora Desktop on Jan. 15th which was supposed to arrive by February 10th.  That seemed like a long time given I could get virtually the same computer (without the case) elsewhere shipped within 5 business days, but like I said I'm a longtime customer so went with Alienware.  On February 3rd, the date was pushed back from the 10th to 17th.  I was told that they were "very confident" in this date.  On the 12th the date was pushed from the 17th to the 24th.  I am told Dell is "very confident" in this date.  Of course they were confident about the 10th and the 17th as well.

My problem is that I cannot for the life of me get anyone at Dell or Alienware to tell me what the problem is.  I can't seem to connect with anyone who can tell me where in the process my system currently sits.  Are some of the parts missing?  Is it being built?  Is it in testing?  I don't know, and nobody else seems to either.  I can't make an informed decision about cancelling the order and buying it elsewhere if I don't know what is going on.

Does anyone know of a way to get in touch with someone who can actually tell me what is going on with my computer?  I only ever seem to get to a call center in India or something where they know even less than I do about what is going on with my system.  Anyone know the proper phone #?  Email address?  Anyone got a friend who can sneak in and check?  Anything?

I'm quite discourage;  as I said, I've been an Alienware customer for over a decade.  That's quite a long time in computer age.  I don't want to stop being an Alienware customer but no one there or at Dell seems to be able to tell me anything beyond my payment was accepted.  On January 16th. Help?

76 Posts

February 13th, 2010 02:00

Join the club. I have been waiting since November for my replacement system. All Dell can ever tell me is "Alienwares are backed up". The last they told me is that people are seeing 60+ day delays on Alienwares. My suggestion, cancel your order and get it from someone else if you want it anytime soon. I just dont understand what is so hard about someone from the factory letting the people that we talk to know what the problem is. 

217 Posts

February 13th, 2010 08:00

Yeah, you're never going to find anyone who knows what's actually going on with it. There seems to be a huge divide between customer service and their manufacturing area. They can't tell you a) what the problem is b) when it will be resolved c) whether or not the new, arbitrary ESD is realistic.

The number of people coming out of the woodwork reporting delays is extremely concerning. I was thinking more and more of trying to stick it out with Alienware but if there are people who ordered machines two weeks before mine who are delayed longer than I am.........

Evil.

91 Posts

February 13th, 2010 09:00

ive been a long time customer too. my legacy systems rock.  I never had a problem with alienware. Now that dell has control of them its problem after problem.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2010 09:00

I'm sorry to hear this from you guys.  60+ day delays?  With no word on the problem?  That's just unacceptable.

I'm a big enough fan of Alienware that I'm going to try one more big push on Monday to get some information on what exactly the situation is.  If I can't get anybody who can tell me what is going on I will be forced to consider cancelling and no longer being an Alienware customer after almost 11 years.  Maybe I'll try an ECB first because I would really prefer to remain a customer.

To me, the biggest red flag about a company which has grown too unwieldly for its own good is when that company makes it extremely difficult for a customer WHO VERY MUCH WANTS TO REMAIN A CUSTOMER to actually remain so.  It's a heck of a lot easier to retain a customer than to find a new one.

217 Posts

February 13th, 2010 12:00

To me, the biggest red flag about a company which has grown too unwieldly for its own good is when that company makes it extremely difficult for a customer WHO VERY MUCH WANTS TO REMAIN A CUSTOMER to actually remain so.  It's a heck of a lot easier to retain a customer than to find a new one.

I agree completely with you. I honestly can't understand why they can't give straight answers on what's going on.

Evil.

190 Posts

February 13th, 2010 13:00

evil thats the million dollar question...

41 Posts

February 13th, 2010 18:00

Reading through this and many other threads I cant see how some people (me for example) get their orders pretty muich exactly when they say they will but others get delayed with the exact same stystem for months.

It seems to be a procedural problem somewhere rather than a shortage of components. Dell need to sort this out as I am sure they cant afford to drive away customers of the high end / high margin segment any more than any other company can.

217 Posts

February 13th, 2010 20:00

Yeah, I ordered a fairly standard desktop system.  No monitor, nothing particularly strange.  Except I upgraded to the ATI Radeon 5870 and there might, I suppose, be a bottleneck there.  Except I can walk in to the local Fry's Electronics and pick one up so if that's the issue I'd be happy to mail one to Dell.  If they'd just TELL me the Radeon is the problem I'd know what's up.

I also had the 5870 on my rig. I had heard from Dell that it might be the source of the delays... but then other posts have said RAM.

I agree on the sentiment about availability of the 5870. It's not a hard to find card (about a billion on Newgg) and even Amazon is selling them.

Evil.

8 Posts

February 13th, 2010 20:00

Yeah, I ordered a fairly standard desktop system.  No monitor, nothing particularly strange.  Except I upgraded to the ATI Radeon 5870 and there might, I suppose, be a bottleneck there.  Except I can walk in to the local Fry's Electronics and pick one up so if that's the issue I'd be happy to mail one to Dell.  If they'd just TELL me the Radeon is the problem I'd know what's up.

190 Posts

February 14th, 2010 06:00

Ican't see this being a parts problem either. I think its a manifacturing problem. If we could get a list of where some of the computers were built,then we could see what manifacturing plants have delays. 

217 Posts

February 14th, 2010 08:00

Could be a combination of both. I wouldn't put it past Dell. I'm thinking it's time to finally just make the jump to Falcon Northwest. Pricier, but built and supported in the US.

February 14th, 2010 09:00

Sorry to hear that, as customers , we deserve better. waiting a month and half for your pc to arrive is a big problem, and poor customer service just adds to it. I understand dell is probably overloaded right now with tons of orders. But at least be able to answer some questions or either give discounts for our troubles. All that being said, I suggest you cancel it and look into CyberpowerPc, and Ibuypower to order your desktop. They build custom make desktops and is cheaper than Alienware. Although the Alienware tower case is very entertaining, the options for different types of tower configurations in those websites will be enough to satisfy whatever that you like. I've bought a desktop from there and its been great. getting it shipping to me in a week and a half is also a plus*

8 Posts

February 15th, 2010 20:00

So I wrote to customer service with my concerns and asking for help and so forth.

They sent back a cut&paste job saying I could check my order status on the following web page blah blah blah.  It was swell.  SWELL.  My favorite part was the bit saying to remember that the estimated date was only an estimate and I could receive my order well before that date!  Super, I'm going to hold my breath.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2010 14:00

Well folks, I expect yet another delay email tonight just after midnight.  These are clearly automated.  It's not like some lackey is sitting around the office at 1:00am writing emails.  So now I'm sitting at over a month out with a 3rd delay and am seriously considering cancelling.

I PMd Lisa yesterday with my order # when she asked for those, hopefully she can help but as much as I think the reps on these forums do a good job with what they have, they clearly lack the power to actually make a huge difference.  Working for a giant faceless corporation is tough sometimes.

8 Posts

February 18th, 2010 19:00

OH MY GOD THE SYSTEM WAS SHIPPED TODAY.

I dunno if Lisa worked some magic or what but I have a tracking number.  I'm glad it was not delayed again with no word from anybody on what was going on, because Alienware would likely have lost me as a customer indefinitely at that point.  As is, I will simply check if the communication/order delay issue has been resolved next time I am in the market for a system.  If it has, I'll consider Alienware again.  If not, I will probably go elsewhere.  So at least in my case it's simply a matter of Dell/Alienware working out the kinks of the process and I'll probably return, but they do need to work those kinks out for that to happen.

No Events found!