Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2016 21:00

Sudden Freeze on Nvidia GTX 760 Ti OEM, No Signal on boot

As the title says, I'm running an Nvidia GTX 760 Ti (OEM) in an Alienware X51 R2 unit. I'm running fairly new drivers, though while I can't remember the last time I updated they're not the absolute newest version. And also, if it's of any relevance, I'm using two monitors.

For a while now I've had an issue where randomly I'll start the computer for the day and the monitor won't receive signal from the video card. The computer is still running as it should, with audio and the ability to safely shutdown, it's just that no video is being put out. Typically, to fix this I have to shut down, switch to integrated graphics, turn it back on, turn it off, switch back to the dedicated gpu, and turn it back on and it works. I could probably skip that process and just reboot, but that never seemed to work.

Just recently, however, it suddenly froze not long after I got on. I wasn't doing anything intensive, simply watching a Youtube video. Out of nowhere it froze, causing the audio to buzz for a second before returning to normal. As with the no signal problem, it still worked mostly fine and I could safely tell it to shutdown. However, it still hasn't been giving any signal to the monitor so I've been running off integrated graphics for now. Can someone help me figure this out? Might it be a hardware issue or a problem with the driver?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 31st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Make sure your system is running the latest Bios version, click here for the download link. Try reinstalling both the Intel and Nvidia/AMD video card drivers. Uninstall them first from Device Manager, under Display Adapters. Then restart the system and install the Intel driver first, then the NVidia. Click here for the Intel driver download link, for the NVidia use try this one. Let us know how it goes. 

19 Posts

March 31st, 2016 21:00

Thank you. I am currently running the newest BIOS version, and not too long ago I already did a clean install of the Nvidia drivers. Doing so did not fix the problem.

19 Posts

April 2nd, 2016 11:00

Okay, so last night I did a reinstall using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and getting the drivers from the Nvidia site, except this morning I started the computer and it gave no signal through the dedicated GPU. However, I was able to switch right to the integrated graphics by moving the HDMI cable without needing a reboot.

Also I think I'll add my primary monitor is using a DVI cable while the second one is using HDMI, if that's of any relevance.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 5th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

Did the 760 TI card come with the system or you bought it separately? This may be a hardware issue with the video card.

19 Posts

April 6th, 2016 13:00

The card came with the system.

Also, for 2 days now it's been running just fine. Is there a chance that the fresh driver install fixed it and the system just decided to default to integrated for that one day?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 6th, 2016 15:00

Hi, 

Yes, its possible that the driver install may have fixed it. If the issue persists, send me a PM with your Service Tag for further assistance. 

No Events found!