Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2010 15:00

Switching from HDD to SSD in my Aurora

How would I go about switching out my primary drive ( 1 tb HDD ) to a xx GB SSD for my primary os drive. Then would I be able to still use the 1 TB for storage. Will I see any benefit from this performance wise? How can this be done?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 20th, 2010 19:00

How big is your current C: drive (how much space is it currently using)?

How big of a SSD are you going to get?

Do you have a current backup of your system?

Did you want to do this only if you can move your current C: drive to the SSD (without reinstalling Windows and apps.)?

Do you own Acronis 2010 (or higher), or similar (that can do "bare metal" restores)? Or, does the new SSD come with Imaging/Cloning software?

4 Posts

October 21st, 2010 09:00

Current C: drive is 1 TB 7200 RPM i believe. Currently has about 42 gigs on it if I remember correctly

SSD I've bought already is 60 Gig OCZ

I don't have a current back up of my system, I'm wondering what's the most efficient way of doing this (time and money wise).

I want to move OS and frequently used programs to the SSD. I'm assuming I'd have to reinstall windows (wondering about alienware progs such as command center, respawn etc)

I don't own Acronis, not sure if SSD will come with software that is similar to be honest.

I appreciate your help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 21st, 2010 14:00

That SSD is on the small side, but definitely workable as a boot C: drive. It should hold Win7, main apps, and free work-space for Windows swap-file. Data files (music, videos, etc.) and large games should go on D:.

Why no current system backup? Do you not have any important (or un-replaceable) data? Is the time (hours or likely days) it would take you to rebuild the system from scratch not important? Your harddrives (even brand new ones) could crash tomorrow. Plus, when you start messing around inside the computer... chances increase greatly.

For instance, I keep "really important" data files on a dependable flash drive or burned to DVD-R. I also have a complete current Image Backup of all my systems on my server or a external USB/eSata harddrive.

If you want to install Windows from scratch, just install the new SSD and install away. Since you have no backup, you can leave the old harddrive disconnected until everything is working good. A second computer comes in handy to grab drivers or do research. After the dust settles, connect the old drive and copy your data files over. You also have the option of disconnecting the SSD, reconnecting the old HDD ... and the PC is back exactly the way it was.

If you want to Clone or Image your old drive, the procedure is different. Here are some links ...

http://pcworld.about.com/od/harddrives2/How-to-Upgrade-Your-Laptop-s-Hard-Drive-to-an-SSD.htm
it will be the same as this, but your desktop has plenty of HDD connectors already.

http://pcworld.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/183357/how_to_switch_to_a_solidstate_drive.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/164972/should_i_image_the_hard_drive_or_clone_it.html

http://www.gettingolderandwiser.com/technology/upgrade-to-ssd-hard-drive-and-see-speed.html

Either way is fine depending on what you want to end up with. If you clean/fresh install, you should be able to get the system back the way it was (Dell factory fresh) minus a few Alienware Themes/wallpapers and I think Dell DataSafe. This way, you get to dump all the Dell pre-installed bloat. However, you must have the original systen discs ... black AW Windows 7 disc, PowerDVD, and Resource (I think Nero is on there). All the drivers and Command Center you get from support.dell.com.

My opinion is that Dell DataSafe is a joke. It's a good thing they provide the real restore discs and have a nice online support section. After the last Dell DataSafe online update, mine mysteriously lost track of the hidden restore partition (which is still there). Basically it's useless. However, even if it was still working, would I use it? No, probably not ...
1. I would still have the bloat after restore.
2. It would restore the PC with unpatched Windows and old drivers (which have to be updated anyway)
3. The version of Command Center on that parition is the old version and will likely mess up my MIO-Board when it gets applied (MIO-Boards don't like to go backwards in software versions).

The first hidden partition on the AW desktops is a pretty cool Linux based AW Diagnostics partition. From the BIOS, you press F12 to get to it. It's customized just for our machines and comes in handy to test all hardware outside of Windows. It even tests the MIO Board and functions. I would say keep it if you can. You can keep it by Cloning the whole drive or Imaging it separately to the first partition on the SSD.

When installing Windows7 fresh to a new drive, if the drive is completely blank (above Diagnostics partition is not there yet ... and won't be retained) Windows will give you the option to install it's own emergency partition. However, if you use Acronis (and backup properly) ... it will serve little purpose.

4 Posts

October 21st, 2010 15:00

This sounds like my best bet:

If you want to install Windows from scratch, just install the new SSD and install away. Since you have no backup, you can leave the old harddrive disconnected until everything is working good. A second computer comes in handy to grab drivers or do research. After the dust settles, connect the old drive and copy your data files over. You also have the option of disconnecting the SSD, reconnecting the old HDD ... and the PC is back exactly the way it was.

I got the computer in late September, and I already have had to do a full system restore on it after experiencing some driver issues. In terms of music I have about 1 cd loaded into itunes and multiple homework assignments. So replacing my data wouldn't take long/even be necessary really. I just want the ssd to boot up win 7 / starcraft 2 / firefox / anti virus / ms office. That's really all I use this comp for. I do plan on moving 2x computers worth of itunes libraries over to the HDD. I just want a smooth transfer, and I want to experience the benefits of the upgrade rather than the experience of a $2,000 system that has been rendered useless by mistakes. Anyways, I feel as though the install SSD and fresh install Win 7 sounds like the best bet for me unless you think otherwise? Sounds like less work and more simple too?

Anyways, thank you so much for your help I really do appreciate it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 21st, 2010 16:00

It's your choice on how you do it.

Less work? ... I doubt it ... it takes about 15-30 minutes to clone a HDD. Simple? ... it's not too bad if you can follow directions and have good computer skills (experience downloading, installing, and configuring operating systems and drivers)... but I wouldn't call it easy. It will take hours. It will likely be a couple of days before everything is reloaded and the system is working the way it used to be.

This is how I rebuild an AW desktop system:

Unplug everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

If the Alienware F12 Diagnostics Partition is missing from boot drive (and you want it)
restore as first hidden partition on boot drive: Hidden Primary 40mb OEM Partition.
This partition would had to have been previously Imaged (backed up) with Acronis (or similar)
from good drive.

Install Windows-7 (64 bit) first.

Install latest Dell drivers (from support.dell.com ... for your Service Tag) in this order:

Intel Chipset
Video Drivers
Realtek Audio
Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet (optional if using Microsoft bundled drivers instead)
eSATA Driver (SIL-Silicon Image)
JMicron Sata Controller (For optical drives - Area51 Only)

AlienWare Command Center

None of the Intel Storage (RST) stuff is really required. (in a single "spinning drive" environment)
Otherwise it's optional. If running a RAID setup or SSD it's recommended.
Once installed, it replaces the Microsoft HDD driver and cannot be un-installed or removed.

18 Posts

January 10th, 2012 22:00

I know this is an old thread, but the search feature here isn't what I'm use to.  Anyway.

I have an Aurora X58.  So, I'd like to install a 120gb SSD as my boot drive.  I've been following these directions www.ssdfreaks.com/.../2  But, I can't get the drive to shrink past 175GB.  I've done everything they suggested.  I've moved all my videos, pictures, and music off the drive.  According to Defraggler I'm using 62GB.  According to the properties of the C drive I'm using 62GB.  I've run Defraggler and Win7 defrag a few times and still get 175 when I try to shrink.

I do still have the recovery volume, I know Tesla is probably right about deleting it.  But, I can't find my restore disks at the moment.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 10th, 2012 22:00

My notes on Shrinking drives. One of these steps works pretty good, but I forget which one, so try them all:

To get a better Shrink on C: Drive

Turn off or just temporarily move Swap file to another drive

Open Command Prompt as Admin

powercfg -h off

(to delete hybernation file in root of C:)

Note: In Folder Options, enable "See System Files" and you can see swap file or hybernation

file in the root of whatever drive.

Turn off system Restore

Defrag

Then Shrink.

After finished, turn powercfg and swap file back on.

18 Posts

January 11th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for the quick reply. I've done everything that you said, except I did hide the system files after I enabled them.  I wasn't sure what to do about them so I figured it was better to hide them again.

As you can see below, my drive is really empty.  The thing that bothers me is the statement that you can't shrink beyond the location of unmovable files.  Is it possible that I have something placed so far out there that they are keeping my drive 175GB?

6521.shrink 1.png

Here's the Defraggler screen grab.  Is it possible the page files are not movable?  I don't know what else to check.

Thank you

18 Posts

January 11th, 2012 07:00

Here's the Defraggler screen grab.  Is it possible the page files are not movable?  I don't know what else to check.

2677.shrink 2.png

Thank you

18 Posts

January 11th, 2012 11:00

I did a bit more cleaning and I'm down to around 58GB but the final size of the shrink has not changed (still 175GB).

Would you mind explaining "move the small swap file"?  Also, is there a way to copy the recovery partition to my external HD in case I need it?

Thank you

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Would you mind explaining "move the small swap file"?  Also, is there a way to copy the recovery partition to my external HD in case I need it?

In the Virtual Memory screen, use Custom Size and delete it from your C: drive and put it on a different drive. I'm sure you have more than 8gigs RAM in that machine, so a small 1-gig swap file (while doing all this) is fine.

I think I've already written (in this thread) about how useless that Recovery partition is. But, here is more about it:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19376654/19866250.aspx#19866250

If you imaged your whole drive (all 3 existing partitions) and laid them all 3 back down on a blank drive, the DellDSL software MIGHT be able to see/find it and use  it to Restore the PC... if you are lucky. But doing all that is the only way to even have a chance of getting it to work.

However, as you can see from that link ... it's just too easy to build up a nice fresh clean install C: partition ... that's easily better than what that one can give you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I've done everything that you said, except I did hide the system files after I enabled them. 

That's fine.

Is it possible that I have something placed so far out there that they are keeping my drive 175GB?

Yes.

Is it possible the page files are not movable? 

Not really. You move them and reboot. That's why you turn on being able to view System Files ... so you can double-check where they are.

Since you are low on drives ... pop in a usb flash drive and move the (small) swap file to that.

18 Posts

January 12th, 2012 09:00

In the Virtual Memory screen, use do Custom Size and delete it from your C: drive and put it on a different drive. I'm sure you have more than 8gigs RAM in that machine, so a small 1-gig swap file (while doing all this) is fine.

I think I've already written (in this thread) about how useless that Recovery partition is. But, here is more about it:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19376654/19866250.aspx#19866250

If you imaged your whole drive (all 3 existing partitions) and laid them all 3 back down on a blank drive, the DellDSL software MIGHT be able to see/find it and use  it to Restore the PC... if you are lucky. But doing all that is the only way to even have a chance of getting it to work.

However, as you can see from that link ... it's just too easy to build up a nice fresh clean install C: partition ... that's easily better than what that one can give you.

Well, I can't find the disks that came with the machine.  I guess I put them somewhere very safe.

So, I need to clone to the SSD.  I'm now investigating Clonezilla, but the problem is still the same no matter how I try to clone.  Shrinking the partition only gets me 175GB despite the fact that I'm using 58GB.

Tesla, I have no idea what you're instructing me to do.  I'm sorry, but can you dumb it down a lot?

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2012 11:00

Tesla, I have no idea what you're instructing me to do.  I'm sorry, but can you dumb it down a lot?

Did you follow/understand this part:

In the Virtual Memory screen, use Custom Size and delete it from your C: drive and put it on a different drive. I'm sure you have more than 8gigs RAM in that machine, so a small 1-gig swap file (while doing all this) is fine.

Did you get the get the pagefile.sys moved to the root of a different drive? Did you reboot machine afterwards?

If you unhide system files, and you look in the root of C: ... are pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys now missing (like they should be) ?

If answer is yes ... did you try to Defrag once more then try to Shrink again?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2012 22:00

Glad to hear those tips worked after all. Ya, those files are "non-movable" and will cause problems when trying to shrink.

I haven't used any of those programs (I use Acronis Home 2010) ... but a word of advice... If the "direct clone" feature in those programs doesn't work ... Try just creating an Image AND THEN do a restore as a separate operation.

No Events found!