Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2010 21:00

System Fan/Connections

My Area 51(non alx) arrived last friday.  I noticed it shipped with an old bios and promptly decided to flash it.  It froze during the flash process and my new machine was dead within 3 hours of receiving it.  Dell/Alienware support was great and had a tech come out and replace the motherboard today.  I expected it to take a lot longer than it did and was pleasantly surprised when I was finally able to use my machine. 

However, after turning it on, I realized nothing on the master io board was working.  My bluetooth was gone and I had no control over my lights and no readings from my sensors.   I popped it open and noticed the tech had forgotten to plug the MIO back into one of the internal usb's.   I plugged that back in and now I have temperature readings/fan speeds/light control.  What I'm not getting is a reading from the System Fan.   And because I'm getting no reading from the system fan, my vent fins on top are staying at 50 percent, rather than adjusting with fan speed.  I can adjust them manually, but I'd rather have it controlled automatically.

I have no idea which one of the fans is called the System fan.  I can't seem to find a diagram with enough detail to help me out.  Could anyone help me identify which fan is the system fan so I can make sure it wasn't left unplugged too?  I don't see any other loose connectors, but then again, it took me 20 minutes before I noticed the MIO wasn't connected.  I need to know what I'm looking for.

Area 51, I7-930, 2x5870 radeons, 6gb ram.

2.4K Posts

June 24th, 2010 01:00

System fan is the one on the rad for the water cooler at the top rear of the case just under the vents.. It should be connected to board at the top rear of the system. The power connector for it comes from the the top and goes to the top rear board. Its a 4pin. Also make sure the 4pin coming from the CPU cooler is connected to the same top-rear board. That one is for the pump.

Unplug the System fan and redo it if its pluged in. Then turn off the computer,pull the PSU power plug and hold the power button down for 15sec. Then boot back up and see if you see the system fan in the command center. The command center is very buggy and sometimes stuff just wont show or whatever. Do this when things get funky:)

2 Posts

June 24th, 2010 14:00

Still no reading from the command center, but at least now I know what I'm looking at and that it's working.  Thanks.

No Events found!