Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 8th, 2010 21:00

The A08 BIOS is designed to offer M15x and M17xR2 users enhanced stability

As has been pointed out, the A08 BIOS for both M15x and M17xR2 assign the processor’s Turbo Ratio limits to Intel’s default values, thereby allowing Turbo Mode to dynamically adjust core frequencies in real time. For M15x users, this should immediately resolve any performance issues they may be experiencing.

The M17xR2 has a greater threshold for both thermals and power draw than the M15x, and this has kept M17xR2 from exhibiting throttling issues to the same extent as M15x. However, we have discovered certain scenarios which lead to similar errors that can be attributed to the prior Turbo Ratio limits. To ensure the highest possible levels of system stability, the A08 BIOS is meant to fix these potential errors. Some users may experience a minor decrease in CPU scores, but that should be limited to benchmarking software and extreme CPU-intensive applications such as real-time rendering. Even then, it should be negligible. Users should not notice a performance decrease in casual use or even intense gaming.

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

27 Posts

September 11th, 2010 02:00

Hi Chris,

I have a question before I attempt to update my BIOS; will the BIOS flash automatically set all the setting or do i need to make a not of my BIOS settings before updating?

Thanks

Cobbie

M15x i7-720

GTX260m

4GRam

WIn 7 64bit.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 11th, 2010 05:00

Since you might be using custom settings, make a note of everything since the Bios update will restore them to our defaults.

September 17th, 2011 07:00

Hello, Having issues with my video crashing. This has been happening alot and seems to be getting worse. I have been playing Rome Total War (Babarian Invasion).  When I first played it there where no problems, but now the video is going crazy after a short time and computer is beeping. I have to shut  the system down.  Will this BIOS update fix this or do I need to seen the system in for repair?

December 30th, 2011 10:00

hey, im experiencing the same problem

i bought a refurbished alienware m15x   2 days ago. straight away i notced the performance was poor on all games  so i upgraded the bios to A08, it has only been a few hours and now my external display monitor keeps flashing, distorted, pixalated (bassically looks like its in safe mode)

im not that great with computers really so any advice would be a huge help. rather depressing seeing as i paid  £750 for  it 2 days ago and ALREADY experiencing problems...

please help!!! xxx

MODEL  : M15X
HARD DRIVE :  500GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
RAM :  6144MB (1x4096 + 1x2048) 1333MHz DDR3
BATTERY : Primary 6-cell 48W/HR LI-ION
PROCESSOR :  Intel i7 740QM Quad Core Processor, 4 x 1.73Ghz core - max turbo 2.93Ghz, 8 threads, 6Mb Cache
WEBCAM : Integrated 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera
WIFI :   European Dell 1501 Wireless Card
; 1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX260M
SOFTWARE : Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
DVDRW : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
COLOUR : LCD Back Cover : Cosmic Black
No Events found!