Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2015 18:00

The Alienware Command Center software has a revoked certificate

Windows reports that the Alienware Command Center software's main excutable file CommandCenter.exe(v2.5.54.0) has a directly revoked cerificate (co-sigend by VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer - G2), and thus refuse to start it.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 1st, 2015 14:00

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the command center software? Click here to view an article that explains how to do this. 

Please let me know how it goes.

10 Posts

May 1st, 2015 20:00

M15x(2011), Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Build 10074.

10 Posts

No it doesn't. Reinstalling did not change the exe's digital signature, so it's still blocked by windows for it's now revoked certificate.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

v2.5.x is ancient.

What exact machine do you have, and what OS are you running?

10 Posts

The OS support is not much of a problem since all Windowses after Vista(6.0) use a similar arch and programs can almost always run across all 6.x(Win10 being 6.4) versions.

It's the hardware model that bugs me. It's said that installing a CommandCenter version that's not tailored for your model will almost certainly mess up your system's firmware. And the latest CommandCenter version dell is offering that suppots my model is this v2.5.54.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Sorry, I don't know much about AW laptops.
I doubt any (laptop or desktop version) of Command Center v2.5.x supports Win8.x-64bit, much less Windows-10.
On desktops, Win8 supports starts around 3.x

Edit: left out version.

10 Posts

May 1st, 2015 22:00

Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I've been using this installtion of CommandCenter through-out all the Windows versions from Vista up to Windows 10 and it had always worked without any problems(though the aliensense module later started to refuse to install due to licences exparition). It's only that till very recently that Windows started to complain about it's certificate, meaning the revoke only happend recently.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 1st, 2015 22:00

The OS support is not much of a problem since all Windowses after Vista(6.0) use a similar arch and programs can almost always run across all 6.x(Win10 being 6.4) versions.

It's the hardware model that bugs me. It's said that installing a CommandCenter version that's not tailored for your model will almost certainly mess up your system's firmware. And the latest CommandCenter version dell is offering that suppots my model is this v2.5.54.

All I know is that over the years, different versions:
- are compiled to use different Dot-Net runtimes
- compiled to support different machines (versions of MIO-Boards)
- devs specifically state they added support for new OSes (read release notes)
Yes, it a very interesting piece of hardware and matching front-end and even bundled drivers.
Yes, they gradually drop support for machines and OSes as time moves on. However, sometimes published docs are not completely accurate and you can go further than stated. But be careful, because you can also "brick it".
You might care to view my old posts. But they are about the desktop version, which is a bit different (discrete boards that do more). 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 1st, 2015 23:00

Maybe I didn't make myself clear: I've been using this installtion of CommandCenter through-out all the Windows versions from Vista up to Windows 10 and it had always worked without any problems(though the aliensense module later started to refuse to install due to licences exparition). It's only that till very recently that Windows started to complain about it's certificate, meaning the revoke only happend recently.

I understand. But Win-10 is beta and like you see ... is changing monthly .... toward RTM.
Due to the very unconventional way the MIO drivers install, it might be the end for Command Center (until they recompile it).
Also, this:
I doubt any (laptop or desktop version) of Command Center v2.5.x truly supports Win8.x-64bit, much less Windows-10.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

If you are brave, you can try this v2.8
But I suggest you drop in a spare HDD, install Win-7 clean (with drivers) first. This v2.8 gets installed almost last. It will likely try to upgrade the MIO Micro-Controller firmware to v2.x (so that should be under Win7-64).

10 Posts

Since my issue is that the main excutable's digital certifacte got revoked, not that CommandCenter itself is not working, I'm pretty sure that it would be the same story even if I switch back to Windows 7.

And about OS support, I myself have been using this excat version of CC on Windows7/8/8.1/10 without any problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 00:00

Since my issue is that the main excutable's digital certifacte got revoked, not that CommandCenter itself is not working, I'm pretty sure that it would be the same story even if I switch back to Windows 7.

Not sure what you expect to happen here.

It's not like Dell is going to fix an old version of Command Center to run any better. The only version in development is the latest version, to be replaced (patched, fixed, whatever) with the next latest version.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2015 01:00

Windows 10 Enterprise x64 Build 10074.

I quote:
Some printers and other hardware might not work, and some software might not install or work correctly,
Some installed apps might not yet work as expected

What does it work with?

Insider Preview should work with the same devices and programs that work with Windows 8.1, but you might need to update or reinstall some of them.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=238597

10 Posts

May 2nd, 2015 01:00

I just don't understand why the EXPLICTLY REVOKED the certificate (Windows can live with an expired certificate it you tell it it's ok).

And if they intend to fix this, all they have to do is to sign that excat 1 file (the main excutable) with a new valid certificate and publish it as a patch file.

109 Posts

May 3rd, 2015 20:00

The EXE needs to be recompiled.. This is up to Dell. In regards to using a version for a different machine, I wouldn't recommend this path as the Command Center sometimes updates the firmware on the controller board for the keyboard lighting and you can brick it..

As for the Windows 7 to 10 issue with the certificate, if the certificate is revoked, this isn't dependent on the Runtime or the OS used, the application itself needs an updated certificate.

1732.1.jpg

8625.2.jpg

No Events found!