Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2016 01:00

The Alienware X51 (r1) and GTX 960

So, i recently bought myself a GTX 960 4gb PNY version video card for my x51. When it arrived i plugged it in got the drivers installed and everything worked perfectly fine. After about 2 - 3 days of use my computer shut down out of no where and would not turn back on. The power button was lit dimly, so it was still getting power from the 330Watt PSU i have. i unplugged my 960 and put my old 555 back in, then the computer would again turn back on just like normal, no issues. I already contacted PNY and Amazon and they have a replacement card on the way for me. But, my question is... What could have caused the card to have that issue? it wasn't running hot, only reaching 79 Celsius under load. Is there the issue of my computer being an R1? Do i need to update my BIOS? (Still running A06). Is it possible i got a faulty card and it just happened to die only after a few days of use? 

My x51 has the Intel i5 2320 3.0 ghz CPU, with 6 gb RAM and the 330 Watt PSU.

Any thoughts on my situation before my replacement 960 comes in?

May 5th, 2016 03:00

Suggestion:

Upgrade BIOS to A14 - Place on desktop & run.

Clean Nvidia Drivers using DDU

Install Nvidia Driver 362.00 (Windows 10)

• Drivers above 362.00 have been unstable
  • Custom install - leave out both 3D apps and Geforce Experience (prevent auto updates)
  • You don't need: GeForce Experience, Nvidia network service, Nvidia streaming service, Nvidia backend, Nvidia ShadowPlay, Nvidia shield, Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D driver
  • Install and learn to use MSI Afterburner - Set Fan Curve - Monitor Temps

After new card install run ePSA (F12)

Dell SupportAssist is handy for driver updates and troubleshooting

Good Luck

4 Posts

May 5th, 2016 19:00

Thanks for the tips, i'll give all that a go when i get my replacement card. Oh and btw, i was skeptical on upgrading the bios. Being that i need A14, it says i need to get go to A07 first which scares me. A lot of people have said that upgrading from A06 to A07 bricked their motherboard.

May 5th, 2016 22:00

You are correct.

My R1 came with A06. Updating BIOS can be intimidating.

4 Posts

May 6th, 2016 00:00

Once i get my card ill do everything you said and post an update on how things are going.

No Events found!