Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2016 17:00

Touchpad not working or showing up in devices

Hello all.

I have an Alienware 14 and am running Windows 10 (although I have had this problem before updating, and was running Windows 7). The laptop is just over a year old, but the problem became apparent around 6 months after obtaining it.

My touchpad is not working. Using the function key and tpad button do not do anything. The touchpad will not show up in drivers. I tried to download and install the Synaptics Touchpad driver, but this did not do anything. I have to use a wireless external mouse. Note: At times I will get an error message telling me that my computer "Could not connect to the Synaptics driver"

Last night my touchpad randomly started working again, but the external mouse stopped working. This morning, the touchpad did not work, and the cursor was missing from my screen, and there was not even a mouse tab under devices. It reappeard as soon as I plugged in the external mouse. 

I'm thinking this is a compliance problem between the Aienware display program and the touchpad driver.

I have contacted Dell support and have not gotten any solutions.

Any help would be appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 26th, 2016 14:00

Hi, 

Are you running the latest Bios version for your system (A09)?

2 Posts

April 27th, 2016 17:00

Yes, I am. That was one of the first things I did in attempt to fix the issue, but it did not help.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 29th, 2016 16:00

Hi, 

It could be a hardware issue. If your system is warranty, send me your Service Tag in a PM for hardware assistance. 

No Events found!