Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 14th, 2015 10:00

Trouble with OS backup/recovery for Windows 10 on Alienware 15 r2

I purchased an Alienware 15 r2 with standard hdd and Windows 10 Pro.  I'm preparing to install an SSD, but I want to make sure I make a recovery drive ahead of time.  So far, I have been unable to find any solution to restore to factory settings.

• I have been unable to find a compatible version of AlienRespawn
  • Versions I have found report that I have no recovery partition, seeming to be Windows 10 compatibility issue
  • MS backup restore does not appear to handle dell drivers/updates as needed

Does anyone know of a solution to this?  It seems third party software will be easy enough for the migration, but the last thing I want to do is risk a drive going up or becoming corrupted with no option to recover.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

What exactly happens when you try to create a recovery drive with Alien Respawn?

December 15th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the response!

The download locations state that it's only supported for Windows 8.1 and older, and I did find a location for Windows 10 but it was very specific that it does not work if 10 was installed by default, only with an update.  Attempting to run it, I would receive a message that my recovery partition was missing or damaged.

I continued doing a lot of research afterward and came across mention that Windows 10 is not supported by it, and that I should be using the standard Windows Recovery in the OS.  I am hoping that this will backup as to restore without me having to re-download all drivers, etc.  If so, it essentially explains why AlienRespawn has not been updated for Windows 10.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 17th, 2015 12:00

Thank you for confirming this.

37 Posts

December 17th, 2015 13:00

Thanks lost_porcupine!

Rodrigo, please advise how we can get a recovery disc from Dell since we cannot make one ourselves?  A complete system recovery disc SHOULD be shipped with the system in my opinion.  Thanks!

December 17th, 2015 13:00

Dell offers a recovery drive for something like 20-30, but is only for the base OS and does not cover everything.  Historically you would make your own (this is the standard these days), but no special software is available.  So far, I'm still waiting on confirmation from Rodrigo that the Windows recovery suggested would do a full backup and recovery including everything Dell has changed, and not just restore me to stock windows with no drivers or anything.  Hopefully we get an answer on that soon.

1 Message

December 20th, 2015 03:00

I am with the same problem. Bought alienware 15 R2 with HDD and I have purchased SSD separately.

I want to install OS and can't download recovery image from Dell website.

Can someone help us?

I mean - we have done our side of the deal by paying fair bit of coin so should we expect the same from the provider?

Regards,

Tommy

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 21st, 2015 14:00

Hi,

A system recovery drive or disk can be included when you make your purchase (you have to include it in the order so you can receive one). Click here to view an article from Microsoft, it explains what is included when creating a system image using the Windows backup utility.  

December 22nd, 2015 08:00

This isn't much of an answer.  First, system image is not a standard system recovery from what I'm reading, but more of a backup of everything currently.

The answer that it can be included with your purchase has 3 problems

1. This is an additional purchase.  Telling me I have to pay more money to have recovery when I should be able to create it correctly is a problem.

2. This purchased recovery, from what I have read, is so basic that I will need to manually install all Alienware software and drivers afterward, this does not return to stock.

3. This was NOT an option for my purchase (the option was grayed out), and I suspect this is the case for all Windows 10 selections.

I attempted to use my recovery the other night.  There are 2 options, each with problems.

1. Standard "recovery" just resets my computer

2. AlienRespawn was an option of it as well, but this doesn't function; it just reports that the recovery partition is corrupt.

There needs to be a solution to this.  I've attempted to speak to someone directly, but that's impossible.  Please provide an answer that doesn't include the idea of "pay us", or I'll look into returning this expensive product and purchasing elsewhere, where customer service is available.

December 22nd, 2015 10:00

Thank you for the response.  You are correct about what I want to do, the suggestion you're putting forward won't work.

I have been only able to locate 2 versions of AlienRespawn; A version for Windows 7 and 8, and a version for Windows 10 only when updated from Windows 7 or 8.

My system came preloaded with Windows 10.  I have not altered the OS, I have not removed a partition or in anyway done anything to the recovery partition.  The drive is still in tact nearly as it was when I received the system.  I'm keeping it in tact due to this very issue.

Either I (and it seems many other customers) need a version of AlienRespawn compatible with our OS, or we need an alternative.

I'd happily accept a recovery drive to be sent to me to resolve this issue including everything for a proper, full factory reset (one that I could install to an entirely new drive in the case of a drive failure), but I won't pay for this.  I'm also perfectly happy to create this on my own, but so far nothing is provided to do so.

Any other computer purchase made would either include the recovery at no charge, or more likely include a way to create it.  Neither of these seem to be the case, and I'm left with the inability to restore my system.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2015 10:00

Hi,

From what I understand, you want to restore the system to factory settings including the drivers and Alienware software, this can done with Alien Respawn but if you reinstalled Windows in the past or deleted the recovery partition in your Hard Drive, its not going to work. If the recovery partition is corrupted, unfortunately there is nothing we can do to recover it. You can create a full system image (including drivers) using the Windows backup and utility.

37 Posts

December 22nd, 2015 11:00

Dell Order.png

December 28th, 2015 18:00

Thanks ACE_AW15R2.

Alienware-Rodrigo, this needs a solution.  Customer support has been atrocious and it's impossible to get assistance.  I get disconnected on calls or redirected to an inappropriate line only to be put on hold again for hours.  Email is never (EVER) responded to.  Live chat does not exist for Alienware except for purchasing support.

I love this computer, but I need to make a decision within my return period as to keep it or not, and whether to PAY for it or not.  I'm not paying for something that has no support.

Please provide a solution before myself (and anyone else) decides that Alienware and Dell aren't worth it.  I'm right on that line myself, now.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I just want to add to this discussion that I just downloaded the Windows 10 recovery image from Dell's support webpage. It was a 6+ GB file.

From what I remember, this recovery image was not available about 1 month ago.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2016 09:00

The question is how to use that image on a laptop with no optical drive and no clear instructions on how to boot it from USB.  Actually there is some "Restore initial state" in Windows 10 under "Updates & Security" - "Recovery" but I doubt it restores the factory image.

37 Posts

January 19th, 2016 14:00

Hi L.Herrera, can you post a link to the image on Dell's website?

No Events found!