Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2016 07:00

Truly hoping for some attention to Customer Satisfaction

Hello All, 

I am a first time DELL customer with the purchase of my Alienware 17 R3 that I've had since November.  From day one of my ownership, I was unhappy.  I immediately called customer support to setup a fix for my new laptop, which had an ugly screen bleed issue.  

I really hadn't spent much time tweaking and getting to know my laptop, as I knew it was slotted to be returned for repair.  It took me months to have the time to actually send it in as I needed it for work and couldn't afford the lost time.  It wasn't until I could procure a lesser machine on a temporary basis that I could begin the process.  This is where all my nightmares began.

I began with setting up a support request through Dell online.  I typed out my issues, gave all the information requested, and awaited my response.  I received the standard "we've received your request, we'll get back to you" email, yet I never did receive any response.  It wasn't until I made a call to DELL, a week later, that I was told I shouldn't be placing requests for repair online, as it doesn't work.  True story, two different reps told me this, and acted like it was my fault for not knowing that.

After going round in circles with the support staff, I finally agreed to send in my laptop for a screen replacement.  The turnaround was quick, but after booting up, I found that I had new issues.  Screen was acceptable, but now the alienware lighting no longer worked.  After letting a online tech into my computer remotely, he came to the conclusion that my motherboard was bad.  Great.

When I purchased this computer, I purchased all the support available.  Premium care, accidental, all that jazz.  So, they decided they would send a part to a technician, and he would replace the motherboard on site.  Now I'm sure I'm not the only person who has a job with very demanding hours, but I am also working at a job site that does not allow "visitors".  That said, all the repairs would have to take place at my home.  Not a problem, save the fact that I would need to leave my job early to be there for the tech, which is of course a corporate sin.  

After setting up the latest appointment I could get, a tech met me at my home and began to replace the board.  Cutting to the chase, he discovered the refurbished board they sent him to replace my new board with was bad.  In order for me to have a working computer again ( with no alienware lights ) he needed to replace the old board.  This took up 3 hours of his and my time.

After this, needless to say, I was upset.  This laptop was NOT cheap.  I tried explaining my frustrations to a guy in support, he claimed nothing could be done to help me with any kind of "customer care" until the computer was fully fixed.  At this point SO many other companies would have just said "hey, this is a new computer, and you're having all kinds of hardware issues, let's get you a new one".  Instead, I'm told they'll "do something for me" but not sure what, or when.

Flash forward to the next repair.  Tech comes back out, puts in another motherboard, this one boots up fine, but guess what, still a lighting issue.  I thank the guy for his time, and tell him I'll do more research as it looks like a software or driver issue and not a hardware issue.

I myself am pretty computer savvy.  I built the tower in my living room as a 100% piece by piece clean windows install, and have worked in an "IT capacity" for some time.  So I went to work with the DELL recovery USB in hand at trying to solve this issue.  Cut to the chase, turns out the antivirus software think the AlienFX drivers are infected and was removing them.  Lighting back on.  But not without wiping out the drive and reinstalling windows, installing one driver and piece of software at a time.

Now for the third strike.  After getting everything set back up, all windows updates, all drivers, I proceed to attempt plugging in an external monitior.  Nothing.  Look at my drivers, all up to date, but device manager says the 980M encountered issues and was stopped.  Begin round 2 of clean sweeping, but this time focusing on ONLY the video drivers as soon as the OS is installed.  Same issue.

So now apparently I am looking at a bad 980M card, and I am fit to be tied.  I have wasted countless hours of my time and energy on this laptop, and have received terrible customer support.  After spending somewhere in the realm of $3600 on this laptop ( including Graphics AMP and card ) I cannot believe that doesn't translate into a customer DELL would want to keep.  I have never felt so turned off by a product and company in my life.

Between the screen issues, the motherboard, and now the graphics card, my ENTIRE COMPUTER has had issues.  I am still under warranty, still under premium support and accidental damage, but I am not feeling like anyone cares.  All these things I have had to go through have sucked out all the joy I felt about this product, afraid now of what else is going to go wrong after this is fixed.

Can someone who actually cares try to help me out?

- ADAM

Product Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 12th, 2016 11:00

Hello, 

We are sorry to hear about the issues. We understand the current problem right now is the video card error in Device Manager. Are you using the latest drivers from the NVidia site. Is the system running the latest Bios version?

6 Posts

April 12th, 2016 12:00

see, this is the kind of half-hearted response I'm talking about.

If you read my post, I already stated all that you asked.  You have effectively made things worse by responding to my post without reading it.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 13th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

I understand you are upset but we are only trying to help. I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere in your post, I don't see where you mention the driver version or the Bios version that you are currently using.

6 Posts

April 13th, 2016 13:00

also, you editing your post is appalling.  This is your original message:

"Hi,

I understand you are upset but we are only trying to help. I'm sorry if I missed it somewhere in your post, I don't see where you mention the driver version or the Bios version that you are currently using. If you feel like we are only making things worse for you, we can stop replying. "

6 Posts

"Now for the third strike.  After getting everything set back up, all windows updates, all drivers, I proceed to attempt plugging in an external monitior.  Nothing.  Look at my drivers, all up to date, but device manager says the 980M encountered issues and was stopped.  Begin round 2 of clean sweeping, but this time focusing on ONLY the video drivers as soon as the OS is installed.  Same issue."

all updates and all drivers was said.  and yes, you can stop replying with the very clear attitude that you're displaying.  My level of frustration and every event was laid out in great detail.  You came back with a response that showed me you skimmed it, saw video card error, and stopped reading.  

the Dell website has a list of all updates for any unit's service tag, associated with the model.  This includes as of my post all drivers and BIOS currently available for the Alienware 17 R3, which as I did state, have been installed.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi, 

I apologize, I didn't want you to get offended. We really are just trying to help. We need to confirm this information even if you say that you are updating all of your drivers from the Dell site, there is no way for us to be sure that includes the Bios. We can look further into your case and try to come up with the best resolution. Send me your Service Tag in a PM so we can review the case. 

6 Posts

April 13th, 2016 14:00

Thank you for your post Neyvash, this sounds like the right way to handle this at this point.

12 Posts

Over 90% to 95% of customers who feel dissatisfied with the products or the services they receive just walk away disgruntled, and don't take any further action. And companies like Dell DEPEND ON THIS. You can try to threaten their customer service people or technical support staff with taking your business elsewhere; or reporting them to some agency. But admit it; chances are you won't. AND THEY KNOW THIS. Let's prove them wrong and get you the quality product and level of customer service and response that you paid for in the first place.
Contact the Better Business Bureau for the BBB of Central and South Central Texas at http://www.centraltx.bbb.org/. This is the office local to Dell's headquarters in Round Rock, Texas that processes complaints lodged against Dell Computers. Complaints can now easily be completed and filed online.
In your BBB complaint, clearly explain the situation, who you spoke to (in management), when you spoke with them, what they said, the outcome, and what you expect in order to resolve the complaint (IE: fix computer, replace defective part, replace computer, return computer for a refund, etc). This is where the 'magic' happens. The Better Business Bureau will act on your behalf and contact representatives at Dell who are employed to regularly respond to complaints filed through the Better Business Bureau. An unresolved complaint remains on Dell's record, so once you have escalated to this point, (and you have done your homework, documented the facts, and can portray yourself as the "good guy" acting in good faith), your problem will most likely be resolved in some way that is acceptable. Don't ask for the moon. You won't get the moon. But you could get help that you deserved in the first place. Expect an acknowledgement in the mail from the Better Business Bureau, and a very friendly phone call from Dell in the coming days. :)

12 Posts

Glad to help till I'm banned from this like Facebook dell and Alienware

2.3K Posts

April 14th, 2016 14:00

Or here's a thought.  Why not private message Alienware-Rodrigo like he asked you to and he can personally look into it?  It will take less time then going to an outside company. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 14th, 2016 15:00

Hello Adam, 

I understand where you're coming from and I want to help you get this issue resolved. If you send me your Service Tag through a private message (PM), I can escalate your case to obtain a resolution. I look forward to your reply. 

No Events found!