Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

May 11th, 2017 07:00

UEFI bios not working

My 17R4 came with Win10 Home and I got Win10 Education from my University. So I wrote the ISO onto my USB drive via Rufus as shown in picture (rufus.png). When I was in setup it showed me this message "windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." so I used this link to make it MBR: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-cannot-be-installed-on-this-disk-the/8fa72a3e-10c5-47da-a040-1e0db62af309 then cleaned the SSD having current OS and recovery partition, and installed Windows on it.

Now the problem is that I can't use UEFI BIOS with Secure Boot On/Off. I can only boot in Legacy mode. When I try to boot in UEFI mode whether it is Secure Boot On or Secure Boot Off, it takes me straight to System analysis and that loops indefinitely until I boot in legacy mode. More annoying thing is that it takes more time to boot and even more, my laptop starts with a buzzer BEEP!

Please help me get back to UEFI Secure boot.

1 Attachment

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 11th, 2017 08:00

Secure Boot only works with the Certificate in BIOS.  Windows home is not the same as Windows PRO or Education.

You cannot Secure boot using a different certificate and country.

Legacy Boot is required.  Secure boot requires the certificates to match.

Yours doesn't and wont.

Rufus is not supported by Microsoft or Dell and won't be.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2017 12:00

Makes sense, however, I thought Windows-8 and Windows-10 still had the "Anytime Upgrade" option and/or the ability to "change your key" so seems like there should be a way.

I've never tried what OP is trying. However, I have used OEM-replacement motherboards with a missing MSDM table, so I used the old key from old motherboard (as required in this instance). I think I also had to fiddle with the machine's "Default Keys" option in BIOS to get SecureBoot to work.

3 Posts

UPDATE: Got it working just like it was previously.

Steps I did:

1. Re-wrote the ISO into my USB drive with GPT partition table for UEFI bios.

2. Started setup in legacy mode and formatted C drive using CMD to GPT partition.

3. Installed Windows and rebooted.

4. Turned back on UEFI with Secure Boot.

There was another way of doing it without reinstalling Windows but it didn't worked because my C drive had 'Pagefile'. I tried to move Page file to Do drive but still it didn't worked. So, eventually, I had to do the setup again.

3 Posts

No. As I posted the update, I got it working.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

As for Rufus, just Google the directions. I think you would know if it was done improperly, because if not, you would not be able to clean-install Windows with it.

Be sure disk is completely blank and un-initialized (like it was just diskpart/clean-ed). If you have no other way, you can use the self-booting WinPE on Macrium Reflect Free v6.x flash-based bootdisk.

Set all your BIOS options properly before starting install (UEFI, SecureBoot ON). I like to only have the Primary disk connected at this point. Get it installed. Windows will initialize the disk as GPT, and create the required partitions.

After full build-up (First Time Setup and Drivers), run msinfo32. This appears to be the supreme SecureBoot check.

If it says that SecureBoot is still not Enabled, go back to BIOS and enable it. You might also have to use the BIOS option to restore the Default Keys or maybe some other option there dealing with the Keys.

No Events found!