Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 3rd, 2013 02:00

USB virtual COM in Device Manager

Hello,

I just performed a clean install of Windows 7 professional-spc1(Dell disc). I have install all of the Alienware drivers that I know. Now, I have three(3) yellow triangles with exclamation marks, in my device manager with "USB virtual COM" and  two(2) unknown devices. Please tell me which driver needs to be installed or reinstalled? And where to get the driver. Thanks.

8 Posts

August 28th, 2013 10:00

Thanks. The solution solved my problem with 'USB virtual COM'. Installed the driver and it removed the yellow triangle with "!" mark. Again, thanks.

1.8K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hi mdhurrtn,

I suggest you to re-install the drivers in the correct order, provided in the link below:
http://dell.to/X1IKGu

You can download the drivers for your system configuration by punching in the Service Tag by visiting the following link:
http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

April 5th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

I just performed a clean install of Windows 7 professional-spc1(Dell disc). I have install all of the Alienware drivers that I know. Now, I have three(3) yellow triangles with exclamation marks, in my device manager with "USB virtual COM" and  two(2) unknown devices. Please tell me which driver needs to be installed or reinstalled? And where to get the driver. Thanks.

Please do the following and reply back here with the results.

On each one of them, Right Click, Properties, Details, On the dropdown select Hardware ID's.

Copy the 1st line and post it here. I'll let you know which ones they are.

April 5th, 2013 15:00

Hello Luis Porras,

I went thru my Device manager an I found the hardware ID, then I tried reinstalling the free fall sensor(STmirco...). Then, I checked the device manager again and found one of the unknown devices was removed. Thinking this is a good thing, but a couple of minutes pass and the screen flicker for a second, then the screen went blank. When I say blank I mean it has a background but nothing on the screen. I had two(2) Nvidia GTX 680m video cards installed a week ago. When they were installed the cards they did not have these unknown devices. I reinstalled Windows 7 because I was adding extra ssd. Now I have no screen and I am not sure if the machine is going thru the POST. Any help you can provided will be appreciated.

That's really weird. Can you try a power drain? (remove all peripherals, unplug the power and battery. Press and hold the power button for 2 minutes)

8 Posts

April 5th, 2013 15:00

Hello Luis Porras,

I went thru my Device manager an I found the hardware ID, then I tried reinstalling the free fall sensor(STmirco...). Then, I checked the device manager again and found one of the unknown devices was removed. Thinking this is a good thing, but a couple of minutes pass and the screen flicker for a second, then the screen went blank. When I say blank I mean it has a background but nothing on the screen. I had two(2) Nvidia GTX 680m video cards installed a week ago. When they were installed the cards they did not have these unknown devices. I reinstalled Windows 7 because I was adding extra ssd. Now I have no screen and I am not sure if the machine is going thru the POST. Any help you can provided will be appreciated.

8 Posts

April 6th, 2013 00:00

I have an Alienware M18x R2 laptop, purchase in December 2012 from Dell's website.

April 8th, 2013 08:00

Did you try the power drain?

8 Posts

April 8th, 2013 15:00

Yes I did. But, the conditions have changed. I can not POST when I turn on the laptop.

1.8K Posts

April 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi mdhurrtn,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status. I apologize for the delay. I suggest you to remove the video card and check if the system completes POST. Please reply to this post with your findings and with the system model number.

8 Posts

April 15th, 2013 12:00

Thanks for your help. I am sending my M18x R2 to a DELL service station. Again, thanks.

August 27th, 2013 19:00

Through endless searching and trying multiple things I found what was creating the "USB virtual COM" driver issue in the device manager. It is related to the "SiBEAM Wireless High-Definition Driver". You can get the Driver here. Hope that helped you!

August 27th, 2013 20:00

Hi Marcusaurelius1984,

Good stuff!

No Events found!