Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2015 19:00

USB3 Driver Install Fails after fresh Win7 Install

Today I performed a complete fresh Windows 7 64bit install (using Alienware provided DVD) of my Alienware M17xR3 Laptop.  After Windows7 completed with the Win7 updates installed as well, I went to the Dell Alienware web page and installed all the drivers recommended.  

In my Device Manager all system components were scanned and working well except one... my USB Controller under Other.  Its my USB 3.0

I have tried to install the following recommended driver several times...

NEC USB 3.0, v.2.0.26.0, A00 View details
R289408.exe 

The installation fails every time saying :  Error -2: The system cannot find the file specified.

here is an image capture:
alieware-error.JPG

alieware-error3.JPG

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 21:00

It's likely just a standard NEC-Renesas driver set. Have you tried manually unzipping the archive and look inside or run from there?

Have you tried letting Windows load a driver from Windows-Update?

September 22nd, 2015 21:00

I went into the unzipped folder and ran setup from that folder. Same error. I went to device manager and told windows to search for the driver... no results.  I told it to look in my drive c: - no results.

Not sure where to find the standard NEC-Renesas USB driver.  I searched and found one on the Intel site but it says its for a range of system motherboards - doubt one is alienware.  But I tried to install it anyway.  It went thru almost all the install then got an error.

alieware-error4.JPG

But after the failed install my Device Manager showed that there is now a USB 3 driver visible from NEC Renesas.  But now there is a new undefined component on device manager.  AND my USB3 external drive is still not recognized on th eUSB3 ports of my alienware.

Sigh!

September 22nd, 2015 22:00

UPDATE... What i did after what i mentioned in previous post was to search for updates on the new unknown device and pointed it directly to the DELL USB3 folder of drivers.  It worked and got my usb3 ports to come active.  Not sure why I had to go thru this hassle but it works now!  Device Manage does not have any more unknown devices.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2015 01:00

Device Manage does not have any more unknown devices.

Good work. There might have been a cleaner way but sounds like you got it working so no problems.

Yah, there are several revision/models of NEC-Renesas chips ... and I've never seen a universal driver that supports them all.

Backup your driver-installer files and notes for next time ... next clean-install.

No Events found!