Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2017 13:00

Unable to Use Xbox App Due to Server Connectivity

I recently bought my Alienware 17 R4 laptop and have had it for almost a month now. The first thing I did when I got my laptop was try to join my friends Xbox Live party through the Xbox App on Windows 10. Every time that I get into their party it says I am unable to connect due to network settings and check the network status and under server connectivity it says blocked. I went through the troubleshooting process on the Xbox site and none of that worked. I never had this problem with my gaming PC that I've had for over a year and I am able to connect to parties on that. I've had my laptop over at friends houses and while I was there I checked and it was still blocked. Between me and the houses I went to there were 5 different internet providers that it still happened with. At this point the only thing that I can think of is that it has to have something to do with the pre-installed software or settings blocking this which is why I am trying the Alienware forum for help. The laptop I have and the gaming PC that I have both run Windows 10 and are updated to the latest software release.

September 22nd, 2017 23:00

With my Alienware laptop, the Killer Control Center was pre-installed on the system. In case this happens to anyone else, un-install the Killer Control Center Drivers and Killer Ethernet Suite from the program list under control panel. I did that and the Xbox App works perfect now connecting to parties.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 12th, 2017 19:00

How is your Internet Connection aside from this?

Are you running McAfee Internet Security?

If so, does it have it's own software firewall?

Have you tried making an Exception for the XBox-App?

If running Windows Defender and Windows Firewall instead, have you tried making an Exception?

How about just temporarily disabling any local software-based firewalls ? (which-ever one it is)

September 14th, 2017 01:00

As far as my internet connection is concerned it is AT&T U-Verse. While it surely is not the fastest, I've never really had problems with it. The only issue I've ever had and still currently have is my NAT type is moderate, but it is also moderate on my PC where the Xbox party chat does work. I do not have McAfee security, but I do have Norton Antivirus and it does have it's own firewall, but I have tried disabling the firewall and I even un-installed Norton and it made no difference. I am not sure how to make an exception but I will look into that. While Norton was un-installed, I tried with the Windows Defender firewall on and off to no avail, but also did not make an exception. On the Xbox site for troubleshooting steps, one of them was to make sure the Windows Defender firewall is on because that could prevent it from working but that did not make a difference for me. Thank you for the reply.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 14th, 2017 10:00

While your AT&T U-Verse (likely just DSL-based) might not be fast or optimally configured ...

You said XBox App still works at your house with your Gaming-PC Desktop.

You also said XBox App works at your friends house, just not with your Alienware17-R4.

For these reasons, I was just troubleshooting the Alienware17-R4.

Like any software firewalls, Norton can be tricky to setup. That is why I suggested disabling ALL software-based firewalls on Alienware17-R4 for now. Don't worry, it's just a short test. Plus, you are still on the "safe side" of router ... behind hardware SPI-Firewall.

Be sure Alienware17-R4 properly knows the difference between Private and Public Networks (I've seen that go weird) and UPnP is on.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001367.htm 

You can also remove a whole layer of complexity by disabling the WiFi and using a real Ethernet wire ... even if it's a long-one through the hall-way for a short test.

Be sure any Network options (maybe even inside XBox-App) are the same between your desktop and Alienware laptop.

I said I wouldn't talk about your router (since it's working with your desktop). Well, you still might want to check that Universal-PnP (Network UPnP) is turned on. This is suppose to side-step any requirements to do old-school Port-Forwarding or DMZ assignments. This is generally why Programs or Apps like this don't work.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 15th, 2017 10:00

September 16th, 2017 18:00

I have never had to do that with my internet and I do have an Xbox One and a gaming PC and it works fine on both of them on my own network, just not with my Alienware, but I will give that a try anyways. Thank you.

September 16th, 2017 19:00

So I started off by disabling the Norton Firewall and checked to see if the Windows Firewall was enabled and it was disabled as it says that Norton controls that. Knowing that any firewall on the computer was off to my knowledge, i then checked if it knew the difference between public and private and it did. I then checked the UPnP and it was on. I then checked the Xbox App and still said that server connectivity was blocked. I then tried completely uninstalling the Norton program, restarted the PC as asked, forwarded the UDP 88 port and tried the Xbox app. This time it said my server connectivity was connected. I then tried joining a friends party to get the exact same error message as I have always gotten. I tried multiple times with the same end result. I then tried an ether-net cable and checked server connectivity again. I checked it first to be connected and then refreshed the page and it said it was blocked again. Between it changing from connected to blocked, I changed absolutely nothing. I also tried disabling the Windows Firewall with Norton uninstalled and it still said it was blocked. This is the web page it brings me to for troubleshooting this issue, and what I originally tried to no avail:  Xbox App Server Connectivity on Windows 10 Is Blocked. Could it have something to do with the Killer Internet Control that comes with these laptops? That is the only difference that I see between the Alienware 17 R4 and my gaming tower. Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 16th, 2017 20:00

combst1994 wrote:

I do have ... a gaming PC and it works fine ... on my own network, just not with my Alienware,

Exactly. That's why I posted the way I did. Somehow, someway ... it appears to be a problem with the Alienware17-R4 laptop itself.

September 22nd, 2017 22:00

Just an update in case anyone is still following this at all, I just switched from AT&T U-Verse to Charter Spectrum (not due to this issue at all) but with my new internet service provider at my house, through direct connection and ethernet cable, it still says that the server connectivity is blocked. Without question it has something to do with the computer. Hopefully I am able to figure it out.

No Events found!