Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

Unbelievable..GTX 580 SLI.

I posted before about dell replacing my system with the aurora R4, well apparently they did not give me the ALX case and this case will not fit 2 gtx580 cards or any other 2 cards for that matter. There is no space, if you put in two cards you have to remove the sound card, they sent a dell tech with 2 gtx 580s to install it and he was not able to do anything. What should I do now if I cant have SLI, how in the world is this a gaming system?

35 Posts

Did someone actually tell you that 2 cards + a sound card would fit? Because even when you customize the computer R3 or 4 warnings would pop up saying that all the slots would be covered over and there would be no space anything else. The Mobo is only a Micro ATX board with is very limited in size.

Now unless you had an Area51 or something before with 2 vid cards + sound card, then they screwed you over.

53 Posts

The tech said I have no onboard sound, no idea what is going on really.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The tech said I have no onboard sound, no idea what is going on really.

That is incorrect. Yes, it is there on all Aurora's (R1 through R4)

If you guys were messing around with installing a dedicated sound-card ... the on-board Realtek might have been disabled in the BIOS.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The Aurora is mATX (has been since 2009). Since high-end video cards take 2 slots these days ... you can have SLI/CFx or one nice card and 2 free slots ... for a soundcard and some other card.

A single video card solution will help with cooling (especially when using high-end cards).

The on-board sound is fine these days ... with a Intel i7, there is plenty of extra CPU time for the Realtek chip to run the sound.

Obviously, you will have to take up the other problems directly with Dell (what machine model you got and all that).

53 Posts

He even called dell to find out what is going on, and the dell tech said no on board sound. Clearly they have no idea what they are talking about, so do you think I will have issues without a sound card since I watch 3D movies and play 3D games? Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 22nd, 2012 18:00

... so do you think I will have issues without a sound card since I watch 3D movies and play 3D games? Thank you.

I don't know ... try it.

I haven't used nVidia cards in many years ... and I'm not sure exactly how they implement 3D ... but unless nVidia.com states that there is a prerequisite to use a dedicated sound card (and maybe some special drivers) to get 3D working ... I don't see why there would be a problem using the on-board.

35 Posts

Go in to your BIOS and enable onboard sound.

Can you start from the beginning in all this?

What was your original set-up, what happened to it, why is it being replaced, and what is the end result your look for?

Will be easier to help you

53 Posts

Hey Laria, this was a replacement computer which was given to me with a 560 TI, on my DELL 730x I had two gtx 285s. They were not able to put the cards in right away because they said there is no option for it. So they sent the tech with 2 gtx 580s after I got my replacement R4. I play games in 3D and watch movies in 3D, I have a 27 inch 3d vision 2 monior so I want to max or come close to maxing out games on it in 120 hz. Thanks.

53 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 19:00

Do you think I should go with a single card, that is just higher GB like a 590 or maybe just a single 580? Thanks.

35 Posts

The on board sound with suffice. In all honestly the Soundblaster cards Alienware uses are pretty crappy, on board is probably just as good. With 2 - 580s in Sli that computer is going to be very hot. Your going to need to download MSI afterburner and set some fan profile. You will also need to set up a custom fan profile in your Alienware command center for your intake fan. The stock settings in the Alienware command center are pretty weak almost useless.

35 Posts

Are you paying for these cards? or are they replacements under warranty?

I currently have a GTX590 in my computer and its good, but like I said it also runs hot . SLI Gtx580s is a stronger combo. I believe the GTX590 is 2 downclocked 570s on 1 card.

Also consider the 590 is not actually a 3GB card, its 2 - 1.5GB cards built onto a single card, so its kind of deceiving.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Do you think I should go with a single card, that is just higher GB like a 590 or maybe just a single 580? Thanks.

Take the two 580's (surprised you are asking). PM me if you have questions.

53 Posts

Nope not paying for it, they owe me high end cards due to the computer they replaced having the highest end graphics cards for the time. Wish the tech would know I have on board sound and put in the two evga gtx 580s he brought today. Pretty messed up hope it works out. Thanks.

11 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 20:00

guys for those of you running 2 gtx580, did you guys ordered the second card from dell or somewhere else? if elsewhere  where and how is it working?

53 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 20:00

Just hope having no sound card wont be a bad thing. Thanks.

No Events found!