Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2016 18:00

Unrecognized device - Graphics amplifier GTX 1070

hey guys.. i am really hoping someone can help me here as I have got nowhere with online and phone tech support.. .. I have an Alienware R3 17 GTX 970m, i7 6700 HQ, 12Gb ram. 2016 model..I purchased an Alienware graphics amp along with an ASUS GTX 1070 8 GB DDR.. upon connecting the amp...it powers the fans on the amp.. the fans on the graphics card are running and powered too, but the alienhead logo fails to light up,also the light on the cable doesn't light up, and the alienware fx shows the graphics amp status disconnected. I get a black screen when the laptop starts saying. "unrecognised device in graphics amplifier it only supports NVidia and amd cards, press any key to continue" mine is a nvidia card.. heres what I have done so far, re seated the card and the cables.. clean reinstall of windows 10, 64 bit, version 1607, updated all drivers.bios latest version installed . uninstalled GeForce, drivers, disconnecting the amp. resinstalled GeForce and all drivers..twice, both while being the amp connected and disconnected..updated every single driver on the laptop.. restarted the laptop.. have done this over and over again.. still my laptop fails to recognise the external graphics card and i get the black screen on start up saying unrecognized device..i am not sure if this is an hardware or a software issue.i earlier thought the card was faulty.. so I went and got a replacement for a new ASUS card,,(earlier one was a gigabyte). is there a possibility that the amp is faulty?
ive spent over $900 to get the card and the amp, and would really like to use it..as I know it works.. but I am not sure where m going wrong...any help is much appreciated
Thanking you in Advance.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2016 18:00

Hello Andrew. Just a quick update.. as I suspected.. it was the AGA.. I borrowed my mates AGA (who lives about 30 miles away) as I thought the drive is worth a shot.. so came home.. connected all the cables..turned the laptop on .. BAM ! it detected the card straightaway...I didn't have to update or download anything.. I didn't get the black screen upon Start up (unrecognised device screen). played metro redux 2033. smooth as butter 60 fps with al maxed out... also tried connecting the AGA to my 65 inch curved 4K tv.. and it played stunningly with that too.. tried connecting my AGA back.. same problem ..black screen.. switched to my mates AGA>. worked like a charm... so sending the AGA back to dell.. and asking for a replacement  :-)

901 Posts

September 27th, 2016 21:00

Hello, I hate to ask a potentially stupid question but do you have the graphics amp driver installed?

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

3 Posts

September 27th, 2016 21:00

Hello Andrew, thanks for your reply ..Yes I have updated the graphics amplifier software too.. I am just failing to understand why its not working..

901 Posts

September 28th, 2016 01:00

My friend had a bit of trouble getting his toaster to work initially, not as much trouble as you but he had to reboot a few times to get everything working, he has a Asus GTX1070.

Maybe the external graphic card is faulty, do you have another desktop to try it in or another older desktop GPU that you know is functional, if you do try the functional one and see what happens.

I also seem to remember there being a slightly different GPU driver used with the toaster, I may have this wrong as it's been a while since I worked with an alienware toaster.

No Events found!