Highlighted
stclouds
1 Nickel

Unrecognized device in Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Hi,

I just bought a radeon 390x to replace my GTX 760.

The GTX 760 in the AGA works ok, but after replacing it with my new 390x, I got this error message at boot:

"Unrecognized device in Alienware Graphics Amplifier. Alienware Graphics Amplifier supports NVIDIA or AMD Graphics cards only. Press any key to continue..."

When I press any key, I boot fine, but then AGA tells me something about it being connected and that I need to reboot, following the instruction, I'm back at staring at the error message above again.

390x is marked as compatible according to the FAQ.

I have also followed the AMD download and instruction to install the AGA driver. But still no luck,

Device: Alienware 15r2, i7-6700HQ, 32GB, 970m

What am I missing? Why is this so hard?

2 Replies
Game7a1
4 Germanium

RE: Unrecognized device in Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Which AMD driver did you try to install? Which R9 390x did you get?

Have you updated both the Alienware Command Center and the BIOS?

Currently owned computers:
AW13 R2 | i7-6500U | GTX 960m 4 GB + GA (R9 285 2 GB / RX 480 8 GB) | 16 GB 1600 MHz | 1800p Touchscreen | 2 x 500 GB SATA M.2 | Graphics Amplifier Performance Analysis with 13 R1
Desktop | i7-3770 | GTX 980 4 GB | 16 GB 1600 MHz | 120 GB mSATA + 960 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD | 600w PSU
Formerly owned computers:
HP Pavilion 15-n280us (given away) | Apple Mac Mini 2012 (sold)  | m15x (damaged mobo) | 13 R1 (death by unknown) | m14xR2 (Tradied In)

0 Kudos
stclouds
1 Nickel

RE: Unrecognized device in Alienware Graphics Amplifier

The one linked in the FAQ was hosed.

The latest one worked even though it wasn't labeled alienware AGA.

Also found out the wiring that connects from the PSU to the mini motherboard in the AGA was not properly seated. It's working now kinda... but I suspect AMD or Gigabyte is the culprit. Can't kept the 4th monitor connected. It'd keep disconnecting and reconnecting.

Other than that it's been more seamless than I imagined it'd be.

0 Kudos