Highlighted
loiclavoie
1 Nickel

Unstable Alienware Aurora-R4

Hello people

I bought an Alienware Aurora-R4 two month ago an everything was running fine until two night ago.

The problem is that the computer seems to freeze completetly and does not answer to any input. Screen stay's still (displaying the image at the moment of the freeze), keyboard seem's jammed and mouse does not answer.

There's been no new software installed on my computer, except Diablo 3 a month ago, and my computer is fairly protected behind antivirus (Mccaffe...I know it's not the best, but still).

From windows logs: nothing. I have no special logs at the moment or right before the crash. Only error log appearing are the one created at the reboot, stating that the computer shutted down unexpectectly (No kidding, I have to do a cold reboot every time).

Does anyone experiencing the same issue, and if so, any recommandation on how to solve the problem?

Thank you :-)

Loïc Lavoie

32 Replies
loiclavoie
1 Nickel

Re: Unstable Alienware Aurora-R4

I really want to avoid that since I work from my computer (programmer).

So I'll keep that has a last solution.

0 Kudos
8 Platinum

loiclavoie

Best forum to post this in, is the Alienware Owners Club HERE.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos

loiclavoie,

So you left it in this frozen state or have you done further troubleshooting?

0 Kudos
loiclavoie
1 Nickel

I did run all the Dell scan software (stress test and diagnosis utility), unfortunately with no result. Every test seem's to be a success and the freeze happen on random time.

I would have suspect bad overclock (usually leading to unstability), but this computer is not overclocked.

So I'm stumped right now.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Try installing latest drivers:

en.community.dell.com/.../20118471.aspx

See above thread.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Milliedog2
1 Copper

I am having the exact same problem but I don't know what to do about it. Random freezes etc, no logs, all tests run and say OK. Wish I knew what to do

Millie

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

I am having the exact same problem but I don't know what to do about it. Random freezes etc, no logs, all tests run and say OK. Wish I knew what to do

Millie

Aurora R3 or R4? What processor? What video card? Full specs would be nice if you want help.

Read this thread if you have nVidia video card (and install those drivers per. instructions).

Are you under warranty?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Oouter
1 Nickel

If you have a Radeon HD 7xxx series video card, try the Beta drivers.. there are issues with the current drivers that cause random lockups with certain games.

0 Kudos
loiclavoie
1 Nickel

All right...

So I've tried updating my drivers...got worse! Now instead of freezing, I have blue screen....

I'm two step away from sending them back the computer and never deal with them again....

Had 15 crash in two days.

For the record, I have an Alienware Aurora-R4 with Dual 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555.

Everywhere I read that driver for this card is unstable and all and I would really want a link on a stable driver compatible with this card (Please avoid sending me again a link to another 50 convo thread, it's messy and unreliable).

Thank you

0 Kudos