Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2017 18:00

Unwanted message on start-up

Hi Guys,

Not too sure what is going on with my M17xR4.

On start-up I get a message telling me that "my hardware settings have changed and to reboot the computer".  Guess what - I did this and lo and behold - that very same message reappears.

I have now been just closing the box, but what is the actual problem.  Obviously something has gone haywire.

Pedro

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 16th, 2017 09:00

Your hardware settings have changed.Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect.

This means you updated a driver like Geforce or Radeon video driver and its not working or corrupted.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 6th, 2017 11:00

Hi,

You can try a system restore back to a day before the error appeared.

66 Posts

February 7th, 2017 04:00

Hi Eimy,

That would be a very simple solution but when I try,  like several others, I get a message that The System Restore has failed., none of my files have been changed.

Do you or anyone else have a solution - apart for the obvious?   Pedro

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 8th, 2017 12:00

In this forum we engage with people who know a lot about computers and others that do not know as much. So if the post is not explicit in the troubleshooting steps that were done, we can not take anything as obvious.

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors. 

66 Posts

February 8th, 2017 20:00

Hi Eimy,

My sincere apologies if you thought I was having a go at you.  It was not the case.  The "obvious" I was referring to was a re-install which is supposed to fix all.  I took notice of that advice from a professional once and lost all my factory backups and settings.  I do appreciate any advice I get as I know very little.

I ran the tests as suggested following step by step and no error messages showed up.  However, when I did the next part after the memory stress tests it started and them stopped at 92%.  The sound test was good.

On another point.  I cannot do a restore back to a good working point as whenever I try, it tells me that a catastrophic error has occurred.  How do I fix that please?  I am dreading that it is leading to a clean reinstall.   Pedro

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 10th, 2017 12:00

Please send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist you further.

66 Posts

February 16th, 2017 20:00

Hi Speedstep.  Thanks for your response, any help is much appreciated.

Can you tell me how to fix my System Restore. When I tried to do a Restore,

I got a message saying that  'A catastrophic error has occurred - none of your files have changed".

Do what I might and try as I may, I cannot rectify it.    Peter (Pedro21)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 17th, 2017 05:00

At this point your install is broken and you must reformat and reinstall from scratch.  Its too late for system restore to fix anything.  You are in an endless loop until the end of time.  If there is data you need on the drive then buy a new blank hard drive and reinstall on that one then attach the drive to a usb Drive wire or external case and recover the data.

66 Posts

February 17th, 2017 09:00

Thanks Speedstep,

Will take your advice.   Peter

No Events found!