firemyst
1 Nickel

Updated Dell nVidia driver does not work for alienware M17x -R3!

hi everyone,

I have an alienware M17X R3 with the nVidia 460 video card. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with a 2820 i7 processor.

The 285.62, P08 driver update does NOT work! It won't install.

I unpack it as per the Dell instructions. When it runs, it comes up with the nvidia screen and says, "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

I performed the GPU bios update as per Dell's website without any problems.

Can anyone shed light on this?!

Thank you!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Sirrob1
1 Nickel

Re: Updated Dell nVidia driver does not work for alienware M17x -R3!

Does it require the vbios update for your gpu released a month or so ago?

0 Kudos
firemyst
1 Nickel

I don't know, but I've done that without any problems when it was released. I wonder if the vbios update is the root cause of this problem?

0 Kudos
radiotete1e2
1 Copper

I have been having this exact problem. My NVIDIA card is just straight up not working now, even though it says it is working properly. The drivers from NVIDIA website will not install, and when I try to automatically search for updates, it says it is up-to-date... even though it isn't. Ahhh!

0 Kudos
andersonpaac
1 Copper

I called up alienware and they said that nVidia is launching new updates for alienware (through the dell website though) so as to optimize the 460M with the current motherboard...

There seems to be some way you can get 275.33 from - forum.techinferno.com/.../636-new-nvidia-driver-275-33-whql.html

0 Kudos
radiotete1e2
1 Copper

User Sajin1337 has been trying to sell "driver fixes" via friending people on the Dell Community and asking them to set up a paypall account. PLEASE BAN THIS USER!!

0 Kudos
firemyst
1 Nickel

Thanks for the update andersonpaac.Dell Technicians don't seem to know anything about it when talking with them. They (Dell) keep suggesting that we do a clean install of Windows with the drivers that came with the system. With all these people experiencing issues, I hope they get a fix out soon.

0 Kudos
radiotete1e2
1 Copper

Don't pay for any "fix" or service or information that is and should be free online. Getting harassed via email by people trying to "help" is not cool.

0 Kudos
boazmeg
1 Copper

my install of the Dell 285 drivers worked just fine on M17xR3......same specs as yours :).......but WITHOUT doing the vbios update

0 Kudos
firemyst
1 Nickel

Apparently, according to other forums, the only way to fix this issue is to use some modified drivers which have been posted around.

0 Kudos