Yueji
1 Copper

Upgrade Alienware X51 power supply

Jump to solution

Can I upgrade the Alienware X51's power supply to this? http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX600/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

According to this post, this would be the best power supply for it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

RE: Upgrade Alienware X51 power supply

Jump to solution

That is also an internal power supply. 

The largest power supply available for this computer is the 330W AC adapter. 

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 is not a validated card for the X51 R1. If you want to upgrade your video card I recommend you upgrade to one of these:

NVIDIA AMD
GeForce GT 545, 1GB    Radeon R9 270, 2GB
GeForce GTX 555, 1GB  
GeForce GT 640, 1GB
GeForce GTX 645, 1GB
GeForce GTX 660, 1,5GB  
GeForce GTX 660Ti, 1,5GB  

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi!

This PSU is for internal use, while the PSU on the X51 is an external AC adapter. To be able to install this PSU you'll have to do several modifications to the system, including the chassis and the power connectors. 

This is definitely not a supported upgrade for this system as the Motherboard wasn't built for 600W. If you decide to try the upgrade the risks won't be covered in warranty. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Yueji
1 Copper

Jump to solution

What would you recommend for me to use? I kind of just want to up my power supply because I want to swap out the stock graphics card for the GTX 760.

0 Kudos
Yueji
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Do you mean something like this? http://www.artesyn.com/power/power-supplies/websheet/297/NTS500

Sorry, I know nothing about computers.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

That is also an internal power supply. 

The largest power supply available for this computer is the 330W AC adapter. 

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 is not a validated card for the X51 R1. If you want to upgrade your video card I recommend you upgrade to one of these:

NVIDIA AMD
GeForce GT 545, 1GB    Radeon R9 270, 2GB
GeForce GTX 555, 1GB  
GeForce GT 640, 1GB
GeForce GTX 645, 1GB
GeForce GTX 660, 1,5GB  
GeForce GTX 660Ti, 1,5GB  

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
cjhouston
1 Copper

Jump to solution

That's weird that you state that the 330 watt doesn't support the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5.

When I go to customize a new Alienware X51 I select everything I have with the one I currently have and when I select the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5 and view the order I see that the power supply that will be shipped is a 330 watt. So why are you saying that the 330 watt will not worked. I have even called into Dell support and was told that a 760 would be compatible with the 330 watt.

AlienwareX51specs.png

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

That's weird that you state that the 330 watt doesn't support the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5.

When I go to customize a new Alienware X51 I select everything I have with the one I currently have and when I select the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 Ti with 2GB GDDR5 and view the order I see that the power supply that will be shipped is a 330 watt. So why are you saying that the 330 watt will not worked. I have even called into Dell support and was told that a 760 would be compatible with the 330 watt.

Let me clarify:

TheGeForce GTX 760 and GeForce GTX 760Ti were built for the X51 R2, not for the X51 R1. What I said above is the video card is not compatible with the X51 R1, regardless of the PSU. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Egrojorge999
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, the gtx 660 ti it's not supported on the X51 R1? 

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi, the gtx 660 ti it's not supported on the X51 R1? 

Yes, the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 and GTX 660Ti are both supported by the X51 R1.

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Egrojorge999
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Really? Cause i'm having problems with mine, i have a Point Of View card 660 ti and doesn't work well, the computer suddenly shut down when i'm playing games, the fans start to go really fast,  then the screen turns black, and after a few minutes the system restarts. What brand u recommend for the card? This are the other components: i7 3770, 8gb of RAM and the 330W power supply.