blade12
1 Nickel

RE: Upgrade Alienware X51 power supply

Jump to solution

From my experience, no need to upgrade anything to get the 760 running ... as long as you get the right one.

You are after the stock version of the GTX 760, that is, single fan, 2GB, non overclocked in order to minimize the power draw.  Usually this is the cheapest version the store has on offer, but doesn't matter cos it is going to be a significant upgrade over the original 555.  Mine was the Gainward.  Also make sure you're on the latest Dell Bios.  After that, it's a matter of plug and play. 

That being said, it's do at your own risk, knowing that it's outside the recommendations of Dell and NVidia.  

X51-R1, i7, SSD, HDD, 330W

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Really? Cause i'm having problems with mine, i have a Point Of View card 660 ti and doesn't work well, the computer suddenly shut down when i'm playing games, the fans start to go really fast,  then the screen turns black, and after a few minutes the system restarts. What brand u recommend for the card? This are the other components: i7 3770, 8gb of RAM and the 330W power supply.

That's not the Dell version of the GTX 660Ti. We can't guarantee it will work properly because according to the specifications, it requires more power and the 330W PSU is not enough.

I recommend getting the Dell GeForce GTX 660Ti. You can use the part number I posted above to find the right card.

Alienware-Naomi
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
TommyFamzy
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This is my exact problem but i have the official GTX 660

0 Kudos
TommyFamzy
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have the same problem as him, but i have the dell 660

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi i need to upgrade the power supply because i want to put in a GTX 780 and 16gb of ram. I am putting it in a new case and the old power connector has no means of attaching to new case so i need the internal power supply for that too. I was just wondering will it break or damage the motherboard in anyway or is it just not designed for that.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi i need to upgrade the power supply because i want to put in a GTX 780 and 16gb of ram. I am putting it in a new case and the old power connector has no means of attaching to new case so i need the internal power supply for that too. I was just wondering will it break or damage the motherboard in anyway or is it just not designed for that.

No, the system wasn't built for that because it has a power board designed to work with an external PSU (AC adapter).

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

okay so the power board just converts/splits it into what an internal power supply does. (if that makes sense) and just wondering why dont you guys sell a 600W external power supply. I dont need a new power supply for the motherboard anymore because i can just get a 250W power supply just for the graphics card.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

okay so the power board just converts/splits it into what an internal power supply does. (if that makes sense) and just wondering why dont you guys sell a 600W external power supply. I dont need a new power supply for the motherboard anymore because i can just get a 250W power supply just for the graphics card.

the motherboard is a standard motherboard so me putting power into it the way it was designed wont break it. what stops me from getting rid of the power board???

0 Kudos
Alienware-Naomi
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

the motherboard is a standard motherboard so me putting power into it the way it was designed wont break it. what stops me from getting rid of the power board???

Yes, by removing the power board you'll be able to install an internal PSU. However, this process is risky and expensive, so we don't recommend it at all. If you decide to do the upgrade, keep in mind that the warranty won't coverage for any hardware that gets damaged during the process. 

Alienware-Naomi
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Leslie8080
1 Copper

Jump to solution

dude what Naomi is saying is pretty clear. If you have a x51 R1 you cant get a gpu upgrade over Dell released Nvidia GTX660. if you have an R2, currently the highest Nvidia gpu you cant get is a GTX 760ti.  The power supply for the X51 is warranty covered for the 330w Dell issued external PSU.  Do whatever you want with your computer but any of the modifications you suggested are not covered by Dell's warranty.

0 Kudos