Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2017 15:00

Upgrade to i7 7700k possible on Aurora r5? (BIOS update in works?)

Hi I recently bought an Alienware Aurora r5 before the CPU update as the deal I got was too good - it made more economical sense to buy then and upgrade my cpu later.

I learned that the the new intel CPUs are coming out. Is a BIOS upgrade for the new Auroras planned so that we can we can use these new processors? 

Alienware advertises upgrade ability but I have had issues with upgrading Dell systems before. Will I have an issue with this?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2017 12:00

Hi,

We have not received confirmation on this yet, but you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates.

2.3K Posts

January 11th, 2017 11:00

Kaby Lake is too new.  It might be months before Dell updates the BIOS for them if at all.  Also what few comparisons between Skylake and Kabylake show no real improvement in bench marking.

January 11th, 2017 14:00

@BeamerMT79, that's not strictly true.

dell.com/en-us/gaming/alienware-desktops?cs=19

You can see from Dell's own site if you scroll down a bit:

UNCOMPROMISING PERFORMANCE

Maximize your gaming performance with the new Alienware Aurora, coming January 12. Available with the new Intel 7th Gen processors and the latest generation of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 series graphics, you can get deeper in to the game than ever before.

So "tomorrow" we'll see the new R5.5/R6 (R6 has a tag option when you go to create a new post in this forum already).

The big question is if they'll have the 200 series motherboards or not though. That's something we won't know until tomorrow I suppose, but with their alienware laptops, they usually update the bios for new CPU support ~week(s) before officially announcing it on their sales side...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 11th, 2017 15:00

Funk007,

"There is a vendor offering R5 with 7700k chips"

It sounds like you are saying that some 3rd party vendor is selling the Aurora-R5 with the i7-7700K CPU. Please provide a link to this non-validated configuration.

2.3K Posts

January 11th, 2017 17:00

Ahh thanks for the link I didn't see that page.  I guess we will have to wait till at least tomorrow....

January 12th, 2017 18:00

So to update this again, after today's release...

The introduction of Kaby lake means it's now called the Aurora R6

There is no new Bios update on the support side yet, but interestingly Dell still says they're using the Z170 series motherboards, so it sure sounds like we should expect some kind of bios update...soon?

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r6-desktop

Not like there's a lot of difference admittedly, but disappointing we don't get the 200 series MBs, it'd be nice to have the extra PCIe lanes for the M.2 drive, but I guess these things cost too much to re-engineer?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2017 11:00

So to update this again, after today's release...

The introduction of Kaby lake means it's now called the Aurora R6

There is no new Bios update on the support side yet, but interestingly Dell still says they're using the Z170 series motherboards, so it sure sounds like we should expect some kind of bios update...soon?

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r6-desktop

Not like there's a lot of difference admittedly, but disappointing we don't get the 200 series MBs, it'd be nice to have the extra PCIe lanes for the M.2 drive, but I guess these things cost too much to re-engineer?

Your investigative skills are good.

However, I've learnt not to second-guess Dell and just wait for formal release. There can also be a disconnect of sorts as Sales website Specs and Custom Configurator get changed and then again match properly during a new model Release (like an Aurora-R6 would be).

In the past ... the Aurora only goes to next "Release" when the motherboard (and chipset) changes. There can be multiple motherboard revisions (but with same chipset and CPU-socket) inside the confines of a single Release. And, of course, the case design way-or-may-not change (ie Aurora R1-R4 all used basically the same case).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2017 12:00

... the Z170 series motherboards,

... but disappointing we don't get the 200 series MBs, it'd be nice to have the extra PCIe lanes for the M.2 drive,

Z170 has 36 total PCIe lanes:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/12/intel_z170_chipset_summary/#.WHkit9IixaQ

Sure, 4 more will help the apparently "resource allocation challenged" engineers, but 36 is already enough for on-board x4 PCIe M.2 SSD. 

37 Posts

February 14th, 2017 01:00

Read the post here:

www.reddit.com/.../

There is a lead for a bios update releasing before the 17th. Good News everyone

37 Posts

Hi just curious what was the deal you got that was too good to be true

37 Posts

What error did you get when you put the chip in?

100 Posts

February 14th, 2017 17:00

What CPU did you get?

If it is a 6700 or 6700K, then don't bother upgrading. The 7700 series isn't that much faster than the 6700's are.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2017 13:00

Got 8Gb of RAM, i5 6400, 1TB of HDD, and Gtx Titan XP SLI for 2300 - less than the cost of the GPUs themselves.

37 Posts

February 26th, 2017 02:00

Hi Tesla,

Do you think Alienware will ever release an update for the Aurora R5 so it will support the i7-7700k? It has the perfect specs but just needs the bios update. In the past did they do it

No Events found!