Highlighted
mark2512
1 Copper

Upgrading Alienware 13 with additional SSD - Are these hard drives compatible?

Hey,

Firstly, let me just explain I am not a technical expert, but I am planning to upgrade my Alienware 13 with an additional SSD. I'm a bit of a gamer and already my original 256GB is getting filled up. With games getting bigger all the time (Doom is 45 GB for example), I'd like to add at least 500GB of storage space.

I have seen many posts about people purchasing SSDs only to find them incompatible so I just wanted to run a few by you guys first to get a green light.

So, here are some pertinent details of my Alienware:

Alienware 13
BASE,NBK,CTO,AW13R2, Windows 10 Home

Harddisk: PCIe SSD hard drive, 256 GB

Here are some SSDs I have my eye on:

SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 2280 500GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-N5E500BW

Intel SSD 600p Series (512GB, M.2 2280 80mm NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4, 3D1, TLC) Reseller Single Pack

Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 Type 2280 (Single Sided) Internal SSD

I'd greatly appreciate if you could let me know which would fit and possibly also which you would recommend.

Furthermore, I want to keep my original 256GB hard drive in the laptop. If I do this, am I required to install windows onto the new SSD or would it simply provide another drive to which I can install programs etc? Apologies for all the questions. Like I said, I am a bit new to all this.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Upgrading Alienware 13 with additional SSD - Are these hard drives compatible?

Hi,

All of them will fit but we recommend the Samsung PM951 and you won't need to reinstall the OS.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos