Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2015 14:00

Upgrading Graphics Card

Hi

I'm currently looking at getting a Nvidia 900 series graphics card but I have a few concerns about if it will work in my X51 r2

1. Power supply: my power supply appears to give around 250 watts but all the 900 series say you need a minimum requirement of 400+ watts but have a power draw of for example, 150 watts. What does this entail for my pc?

2. Size. The space for a card in my pc is about 125mm and alot of these cards are saying they are that size or even bigger. Are there any cards which definitely fit my build?

Also, the Alienware site has a nvidia 960 as an option for my model of pc currently so I would take that as an indicator that they would work. However the 960's that I have looked at all have this 400 minimum wattage. Am I just looking at the wrong things? Any help appreciated.

727 Posts

July 5th, 2015 15:00

The "minimum wattage" things is just a recommendation, not a requirement. And it's a recommendation on specs that Nvidia has tested (most likely with high wattage i7). 

You need to get the 330w PSU in order to use the GTX 960. It is best to get a blower/reference design GPU as other cooling designs heat up the chassis. Blower designs are those with a fan on the far end of the GPU. That, and they fit in the X51 fine.

12 Posts

July 5th, 2015 17:00

thanks very much, got any recommended models for the 960? as I want something reliable that will definitely fit. 

12 Posts

July 5th, 2015 18:00

These seem excellent to me, Thank you very much!

No Events found!