Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2015 06:00

Upgrading HDD in Alienware 15 to SSD

Hello all,

I recently purchased a SSD and want to install it in my Alienware 15.  I noticed a great tutorial video on youtube, so i dont need to know how to physically do it.

Rather, I want to know the best way to get a fresh windows install on it?  I currently have alien respawn on a usb drive, but I think that's just for recovery, correct?

Does Dell or Alienware make any utilities I can use to put on a USB stick for fresh windows 8.1 install that also includes factory Alienware settings/software?

I cant seem to find the answer anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

118 Posts

May 16th, 2015 11:00

The alien respawn can be used to restore your system on to a new drive.  Since you already have Windows 8.1, I suggest you install the new drive and use the USB stick to do a restore.  Once that is complete, if you want, you can use the Windows Recovery within System Settings to set the machine back to factory state without having to go to the trouble of a fresh install.

However, if you really want to do a fresh install, contact Customer Care and request a recovery DVD.  Depending upon your warranty state, etc., you may have to pay a nominal fee.

The recovery DVD from Dell is Alienware branded, but does not include the drivers and apps that were installed when the computer was new.  You will have to download those from support.dell.com drivers page.  Also, I recommend that you download the network adapter drivers to a USB stick prior to a fresh install as Windows 8 will not natively support them.

Good luck.

86 Posts

May 16th, 2015 11:00

See here to create a 16 GB USB flash drive using Dell Backup and Recovery/Alienware Respawn.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

Alienware Respawn is the same as Dell Backup and Recovery with a different skin.

The alternative is clean installation and you may download a Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .iso of the correct edition see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

327 Posts

May 16th, 2015 16:00

i answered it step by step before

en.community.dell.com/.../20759141

No Events found!